ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Babylon discount

<< < (4/10) > >>

cyberdiva:
Thanks, Curt, for your reply and for all the interesting information about Babylon Pro.  As far as I can tell, there's no reason for me to upgrade from Babylon 6 to to Babylon 9 (or any other version) unless Babylon 6 won't work with the new computer I've ordered, which runs Windows 7 64-bit.  I think I'll give it a try before even contacting Babylon.  My experience with their customer support has been very mixed, and I share your distrust of what they say.  That's why I don't even think I'll bother to ask them whether version 6 will work on Windows 7 64-bit. 

Of course, if the upgrade price were more reasonable, I might not be so reluctant to upgrade (though there's still the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" consideration).  But apparently it will cost me at least $71 to upgrade, and perhaps more if they're going to charge me extra AGAIN for the Vox Advanced Dictionary Eng-Spa-Eng, which I paid extra for when I bought Babylon back in 2006.  Even with the extra, the total then came to $63.50 (for my new copy, not an upgrade).  It bugs me that they now want $71 (or more) just to upgrade.

I LOVE my version of Babylon Pro, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed (though that makes typing rather difficulty  :)  ). 

Curt:
I LOVE my version of Babylon Pro, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed-cyberdiva (April 22, 2011, 01:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

-that is the very point, isn't it. It is a really fine program, and Babylon has been a good and trusted tool for me, so I keep hoping for the best. But Babylon is not merely a program, but also a company  in the hands of merchants.

To test your final comment, this was typed with my fingers crossed... ;-)

Curt:
hmm... beside using WordWeb Pro 6 instead of Babylon 9, I have found this Babylon addon for Firefox 4: Babylon Dictionary Word Search :: Add-ons for Firefox. It works surprisingly snappy, (mark, and press Alt+y or click the icon), and gives me answers from Babylon-English, Wikipedia English, WordNet 2.0, and Webster's Unabridged 1913. It puts me on a virtual e-diet, but I am positively surprised.

Edited:
Many more languages are of course at your disposal. In the one and same file.

cyberdiva:
Thanks, Curt, for this information.  I can see how it could be very useful, but probably less so for me.  Much of the time, the words I'm looking for aren't in my browser but elsewhere.  Also, from what I could tell from the web page link you provided, the add-on uses Babylon's dictionaries, whereas what I find most useful for me are the much more extensive listings offered by the Vox Spanish/English dictionary that I bought as an extra when I purchased Babylon.  The Vox gives me a much better sense of the many ways in which a word is used, as well as an impressive listing of expressions using the word.  I haven't found any other dictionary that I like as much, which is why I'm hoping to be able to continue with Babylon on my new (and as yet undelivered) computer.

Shades:
@Cyberdiva:
In case Babylon does not work on your Windows 7 64 bit PC, get a tool to virtualize the application, so it can be used as a portable application. Cameyo is the one I used to do this trick, but there are others.

I Use a small and very efficient tool called SQLtools to handle Oracle databases and it works fine on Win2003 and lower. Now I have to run Windows 2008 R2, which is 64-bit and my tool doesn't work anymore.

When virtualizing the application a complete setup is created inside the resulting executable, including folder structure, registry, etc.
As it is contained inside it's own environment, just the way the application likes it, the application will work without problems in whatever Windows version it is used.

What to do:
1 - Get Cameyo (there is a freeware version)
2 - Preferably install Cameyo on a 'fresh' Windows XP installation. Some versions of Windows 7 64-bit come with a virtual-PC based XP for backwards compatibility. that is one option you could use for this.
3 - Cameyo warns you when you are able to install Babylon in the virtual PC. Do so.
4 - When you are done installing, use the 'Finish' button from Cameyo.
5 - Cameyo will start making a second snapshot of your system and stores the differences as created by the Babylon installer
6 - After Cameyo is finished you will have one executable file that stores the complete Babylon installation (I do not know how big the installation of Babylon is, so I can not tell how big the resulting executable will be).
7 - Run the executable in Windows 7 64-bit.

That should be it.

It worked out beautifully for me, at least. Hope this info/tip will be useful in case Babylon 6 doesn't work in Windows 7 and you don't want to activate the virtual XP resource hog all the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version