ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Babylon discount

<< < (2/10) > >>

Curt:
just to clarify, i didn't mean that babylon wasn't a super powerful program, only that if you are looking for the most powerful and feature packed pure thesaurus, designed for exploring synonyms, mobysaurus is the one -mouser (March 23, 2007, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Understood. :up: (only, I would not look for a thesaurus only).

It's just that when you are in love, no-one can tell or imply anything 'bad' about your loved one...  :-[

I've tried mobysaurus several times, and I still like Babylon better.  :-*
As a foreigner to the American version of the English language, it is very often imperative to me to have the full explanation. Mobysaurus is quite good, but I would never want to be without the Webster's set. And even then, I will often want to also have a translation.

Babylon with Moby Thesaurus only is just as fast as mobysaurus - and just as informative - but then of course there is no need to have a program you must pay for, when you can have mobysaurus for free. But when you need both a dictionary and a thesaurus and a translator, there really is none as fast as Babylon.

However, I think WordWeb Pro 5 is quite good, too.

Curt:
Edited: Only now I realize this is the "Found Deals and Discounts"-thread, but this post is not really about any discounts...

It's just that when you are in love, no-one can tell or imply anything 'bad' about your loved one...  -Curt (March 23, 2007, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

-my "love" for Babylon has been cooling down ever since version 5 or 6 - I just haven't found anything better (and I have several of the kind). One problem regarding Babylon is that they launch major upgrades just as often as Ashampoo!! This year is no exception: After 11 months with Babylon 8, Babylon version 9 is ready. And bloody expensive it is. Well, kind of; it's a Lifetime license, (or Monthly Subscription: $9.7). At least this will be the last upgrade needed, but man, the upgrade is $71 !! Bundled with the Oxford Dictionary + Thesaurus set it is "merely" $77 , which may be okay for a lifetime license, I guess. Normal full prices are $118 (or $128 incl Oxford). But as I said, it is a lifetime license, so in theory this should be the last upgrade needed...

Curt:
You should know that one of the free dictionaries you can have for Babylon is Moby Thesaurus-Curt (March 23, 2007, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Moby Thesaurus. This version has been thoroughly revised and contains 30,260 root words, with 2,520,264 synonyms and related terms.

http://www.babylon.com/free-dictionaries/reference/dictionaries-thesauri/Moby-Thesaurus/66382.html

--- End quote ---

cmpm:
I wonder how much they revised Moby Thesaurus for Babylon?

Is it better then the original?
If so they should kick back the revision to the author of Moby Thesaurus.
And be able to implement it in the original Moby Thesaurus.

Or has that been done already?

Curt:
-"they" will do nothing. Moby is a "community created content", so "someone" has altered Moby, to make it fit Babylon, but Babylon themselves will do nothing for a freeware dictionary...

Answers from Moby (inside Babylon) has this little text underneath the answer:

Source: Moby Thesaurus, which is part of the Moby Project created by Grady Ward. In 1996 Grady Ward placed this thesaurus in the public domain.
-Moby in Babylon
--- End quote ---

Edited:
Sorry, I didn't understand your question before "answering":
Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby_Project

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version