ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strange Windows wallpaper trick

<< < (5/6) > >>

f0dder:
Hm, it might have something to do with graphics driver capabilities. It does work fine here even in vmware though, so it would take some very minimal caps in order not to work, if it was about caps :-s

cthorpe:
My home PC has a 32mb Ge-Force 2MX card and it works perfectly.

My work PC has a Radeon X300/X550 Series PCI-Express with 64mb.  Now I do think that the work PC is still using the drivers that came preinstalled by Dell when the PC was purchased almost 2 years ago, so that may have something to do with it.

C

Cavalcader:
Something's not quite right here...
-cthorpe (March 22, 2007, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
For machines where it's not working as a gradient, try IrfanView (.com). Once you load the pixels into it, you can either do ctrl-shift-S (for Stretch) to show it as wallpaper, or go fullscreen and tap the "3" key just to view it. (Ctrl-R will let you Resize it to save it permanently -- the recommended setting is "resampled" with Lanczos filter.)

iphigenie:
I suspect it depends whether you have enabled or disabled the "pretty" effects in windows.
It doesn't work on my PC but I know one thing I did was disable all the "prettification" effects, for performance. I suspect one of those might be what does the nice interpolation on the desktop.

For some reason I can't find the options menu anywhere atm, Saturday morning effect I guess

edit: no, even turning on "adjust for best appearance" didnt fix it :(

Cavalcader:
no, even turning on "adjust for best appearance" didnt fix it :(
-iphigenie (March 24, 2007, 04:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
There's an article on the Windows Shell blog about MS having to fix scaling for Vista, so there may have been a Windows Update patch that fixed something there for XP as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version