ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strange Windows wallpaper trick

<< < (2/6) > >>

lanux128:
a good one, Edvard.. :Thmbsup:

Ampa:
The best part is you get nifty gradation wallpapers that clock in at < 100 bytes (not a typo!)  :-*
-Edvard (March 20, 2007, 05:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think that this is quite true... My belief is that Windows does the interpolation which results in the nice smooth gradient and saves this as a .bmp - it is this temp file which is used as the background image. So the original file IS tiny, but the temp file is that same size as any other wallpaper.

I am not sure where this file is stored - perhaps someone else can find it?

Reason for thinking this... erm, perhaps I read it somewhere once? And I think this is certainly how jpgs are handled (converted to a bitmap first).

Ampa

f0dder:
No, it doesn't use a temp file - it might do the interpolation to a temporary in-memory bitmap, but I don't think it does this either.

cthorpe:
Save it somewhere convenient, then in your display properties, select the bitmap you just made, select 'Center' and  Stretch Desktop Wallpaper enabled.
-Edvard (March 20, 2007, 03:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

:(

Something's not quite right here...

Strange Windows wallpaper trick

How do you select both Center and Stretch at the same time?

Oh, I'm on WinXPPro

Ruffnekk:
Excellent find :)

I think we should start a 10 x 10 bitmap competition to see who can make the most beautiful :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version