topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: suggestions: what I would love in Clipboard Help+Spell  (Read 6477 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
suggestions: what I would love in Clipboard Help+Spell
« on: September 12, 2005, 08:24 AM »
Hi,

in this post I will compare Clipboard Help+Spell to ClipX - a great, tiny, free clipboard manager, which code isn't  updated anymore :-( Have a look here: http://www.addict3d....loadfile&ID=3088

- less RAM usage: ClipX does only use 500kb RAM, Clipboard Help+Spell did use 15 MB when I tested it

- ease of use: please test ClipX and let it inspire you :) What I especially like is the way it allows me to pop up the list of recent clipboard entries with a hotkey - where I can simply hit "s" to search for a string - and that I can set an additional hotkey that opens that list but but auto-selects the second but last entry.

- tray icon menu: this should contain an "options/preferences" entry

- a new name? To be honest, Clipboard Help+Spell isn't that good to remember, maybe you'll want a new name as it evolves?

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: suggestions: what I would love in Clipboard Help+Spell
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 09:50 AM »
While mouser is out of "down," a response to your questions (obviously, if mouser contradicts any of this... he's right!)

- Did you look at RAM usage while CHS was minimized or had a window open?  Remember, CHS is using a database component so RAM use will be higher than other apps.  But, while minimized (in the systray), I dont think it went above 8 meg and I thought it was down around 2-3.

- This pop up is coming... mouser is updating other programs and will be back to update CHS in the near future (near meaning when he gets to it).  Actually, if you read some of the other threads you will see that CHS will be getting quite a major overhaul!

- Ahhhh... new name... any suggestions?  There is a thread somewhere where people were trying to come up with new names.  Nothing stuck yet, so feel free to add your own suggestions.

Welcome to the forums and keep asking!

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 11:57 AM »
it definitely needs a new name;
right now it's sort of inbetween functionality, and needs much work.
but i hope to give it the same treatment as i hope all of our other software gets
i.e. with user feedback get it up to the level of the best shareware product in its category.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 01:09 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Well, add some of what ClipX (see above) does and how it does it and you'll have a great program! :)
I'm more than willing to replace ClipX if your program does the same thing plus spell checking etc. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 01:26 PM »
i promise to add pop up pasting functionality as good as any existing clip tool -
to do this i'll need help from people like you to figure out the best user interface for it.
as far as memory use, i think kfitting has it exactly right, CHS is going to eat some memory when brought to foreground but i will work hard to make it use minimal memory when minimized in the tray.
your other suggestions are going to be implemented.