topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: a self-scrolling, BPM adjustable html/notepad/text file gizmo  (Read 92633 times)

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can't get it to install on XP. I downloaded the zip file but it Windows wouldn't extract it (unexpected end of file).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
when thats happened to me its seems to be something gone wrong in the download, i download it again and try that, if that doesnt work i resort to sacrificing chickens and weird incantations

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've tried downloading from 2 different browsers, I've tried downloading the earlier version, I've tried downloading the source code but then I realised that my compiler isn't supported by that widgets add-on, or whatever it is, which is needed, and I'm not sure if I should get another compiler just for this program. I only got the the other one to try to inspire me to learn coding but it never got off the ground, but thats beside the point.

Anyway it looks like chooks and incantations may be called for, but with my luck, they won't work either.

Thanks for your very useful suggestion  :lol:

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Hi Fred Nerd

I just tried to download and unzip the v1.1.1 version for windows, and it worked for me. Maybe you should try different zip software?

If you absolutely can't get it to work at all, I can always upload the uncompressed .exe just for you ;)

The source code and wxWidgets can be compiled with most C++ compilers including: gcc, microsoft visual c++ (visual studio), cygwin/gcc, mingw, digital mars, and maybe bcb (borland c++)(not sure about that last one).

To compile the BPMNotepad source, you need to first download and compile the wxWidgets source.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 01:29 AM by Gothi[c] »

pinkjimiphoton

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Watt, me worry??
    • View Profile
    • Yes
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
hi Fred Nerd,
(remarkably close to fender,......hmmmmm....kewl name where i come from!!)

a couple things...
is your pc a dell?
it won;t run on my laptop either, but works great on my main sled.
my dell is strictly for recording, so i don;t run anti malware stuff on it....so no net.
could be an update issue.
i freekin loathe microsoft (i could tell ya stories...they really are way more intrusive than ,ost folks think) but you may need to update your XML stuff...some of them "Sh*tical updates will screw all kindsa stuff up.
lastly, two more ideas...
well, three...
if running norton antivirus, that's why nothing works right.

if any malware infection, stuff won;t download right (which sounds like your problem).
reboot while tapping F8 and choose safe mode.
if you HAVE no safe mode, your'e definitly infected. get back to us.
while in safe mode, run adaware, nue any nastys, and dump your browser caches (start>settings>control panel>internet options>delete files> yes>delete offline content should be checked. do this twice.
reboot.
see if you can download the file now.
if you can, prob solved.
get a good firewall.
good luck dude.
you want that when?

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Hey, jimi, I forgot to ask you this, on your PC where it won't run, do you get an error of a missing DLL?

My buddy JoTo recently brought to my attention that the msvc crt library isn't statically linked into the exe, so it is very possible that you get an error when it isn't installed on the system. I am going to either include this dll with the application in future versions, or offer a separate download for it on the site.

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Back again. I have been struck down with the flu for the last few days, that'll teach me to make light of pagan customs.

But, the good news is..........I got it working. I did a safe-mode cleanup (it was due for one anyway) and even though nothing major was found, it seems to work now. And the problem was in the downloading, not the unzipping; the file I downloaded earlier still won't work.

I still haven't started seriously playing around with it yet, but when I do I'll let you know what I think.

Thanks for your help,
God bless

PS the unsupported compiler I (try to) use is Bloodshed Dev-C++. Its best feature is that its free. Also it comes with a good tutorial. (and I still can't use it :( )

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
glad its working for you, and yeah, you do have to be careful some of them are really very vindictive and somewhat evil  ;) ;D

pinkjimiphoton

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Watt, me worry??
    • View Profile
    • Yes
    • Donate to Member
gotta problem with us pagans dude?
lol...remember, in his time, JESUS was a pagan and a heretic...
so tread lightly, friend, there are many possibilities...
;)
jimi
you want that when?

pinkjimiphoton

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Watt, me worry??
    • View Profile
    • Yes
    • Donate to Member
Hey, jimi, I forgot to ask you this, on your PC where it won't run, do you get an error of a missing DLL?

My buddy JoTo recently brought to my attention that the msvc crt library isn't statically linked into the exe, so it is very possible that you get an error when it isn't installed on the system. I am going to either include this dll with the application in future versions, or offer a separate download for it on the site.

hey bro, sorry, i must have missed this one!!!
honestly, i don;t remember,,,let me boot the laptop and see what it does,,,
hang on a minute......

(fingers tap impatiently)

it's booting....

but while it boots, i suspect it has more to do with windows xp blocking xml scripts or something.....some of them "sh*tical updates" make the computing environment REALLY weird...

here we go....

(for those that don;t know, you can copy them ms error messages by holding control, tapping insert, then pasting in notepad or whatever)

---------------------------
C:\Documents and Settings\jimi\Desktop\BPMNotepad-1.0-win32-build20070319-\BPMNotepad\bpmnotepad.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\jimi\Desktop\BPMNotepad-1.0-win32-build20070319-\BPMNotepad\bpmnotepad.exeThis application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
OK   

the app was zipped, not installed...trying to have windows install it made no difference whatsoever.
it works GREAT on my tower, but not at all on the laptop, no versions of it seem to there.

but...my laptop ain;t up to date, i don;t use it on the net ever, it;s strictly for recording stuff live...and hence may not be up to date as far as MS is concerned.

hope this helps, Gothi(c)
you want that when?

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
gotta problem with us pagans dude?
-pinkjimiphoton (June 03, 2007, 07:27 AM)
Not me! ;)  But...
lol...remember, in his time, JESUS was a pagan and a heretic...
Mebbe a matter of interpretation -- but I don't think he's ever been accused of being a pagan.  :D  He was only a heretic to The Establishment -- basically Big Religion of the day, because they'd twisted Bible concepts so they pretty much could make more money offa the faithful and look better than everybody else in the community.
:P
so tread lightly, friend, there are many possibilities...
;)
Still a valid statement IMO.  :Thmbsup:

We now return to our regularly scheduled programme, already in progress...  :mrgreen:
My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
PS the unsupported compiler I (try to) use is Bloodshed Dev-C++. Its best feature is that its free. Also it comes with a good tutorial. (and I still can't use it Sad )

Dev-C++ uses MingW under the hood, and wxWidgets and wxWidgets applications can deffinitly be compiled with it. You can find a guide for it here: http://www.wxwidgets...tutorials/devcpp.htm

the app was zipped, not installed...trying to have windows install it made no difference whatsoever.
it works GREAT on my tower, but not at all on the laptop, no versions of it seem to there.

You are probably missing that msvcrt dll file. You can download it here. Put it in the same folder as the program (exe) and see if it works then. It may or may not be the right version of the dll though, haven't checked into that yet. Worth a shot ;)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hmmmmmmmmmmm......but if the switches are in series, won't they all do the same thing??

The switches aren't in series, they'd be hooked up to the microcontroller chip in the same way the keys on the keyboard would be,
but they'd be able to hook into eachother.

and if it's an analog signal, would there be an impedance change issue running them in parallell?

One side of the chip is digital (the part that goes into the computer), the other is analog. We don't really have to worry about impedance since these are switches and not, say resistors, or LED's, etc,... we aren't doing anything, we're just switching a logical state.

here a parallel example with just one 'key' :

input
  |  |
  |  |                             
  |  *_______________
  *__|_______________SWITCH
  |  |
  |  |
  |  |
KEYBOARD

Either the two wires short when you push the switch -or- the two wires short when you push a key on the keyboard,
for the input, there is no difference.  Maybe i'll look up the details on how they hook up to the microcontroller and make a little schematic and put it up on the bpm notepad website once i have it finished. Though chances are that many keyboards use different types of microcontroller, so it may be different and you may have to 'follow' the lines on the keyboard pcb (or membrane) anyway.

For any of you reading this that are less electronically gifted, there is always the simple way to do it...use a keyboard splitter.  You can get them for less than $5US at most cable supply companies.  Just don't use both keyboards at the same time (or in this case the keyboard and the pedal) or you get the same effect as pushing multiple keys at the same time.