Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 21, 2014, 03:05:32 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: DONE: a self-scrolling, BPM adjustable html/notepad/text file gizmo  (Read 49607 times)
pinkjimiphoton
Supporting Member

Watt, me worry??

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2007, 04:11:12 PM »

you guys all like sooooooooooooooo rock!!
lol

you want that when?
toddmatherne
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2007, 11:17:50 PM »

I too have been looking for a software just like this. This will be such a huge benefit. I have developed an application online using perl. It creates a random setlist of songs in the order of two fast and one slow. The application is written in Perl and can be sampled here.

http://www.eatel.net/cgi-...wrap/toddmatherne/blah.pl

I hope someone in exchange for contributing this auto scroll software will find value in utilizing this utility. My online application will automatically count the number of fast songs, slow songs and total time. Thanks to the online development community, for allowing us hard working musicians to apply our laptops as a very useful tool both on stage and in the office. Email me for the perl source code.

Thank you,
Todd Matherne
toddmatherne@eatel.net
toddmatherne
Participant

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2007, 11:19:16 PM »

Sorry, to generate a new setlist just refresh your web browser. F5.

http://www.eatel.net/cgi-...wrap/toddmatherne/blah.pl
Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2007, 12:02:45 AM »

That's a nice little script, Todd!
Thanks for sharing, I'm sure someone will be able to make use of it.
pinkjimiphoton
Supporting Member

Watt, me worry??

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2007, 09:19:29 AM »

hey Gothic....
one little tweek request??
is it possible to make a control to make the BPM stay on top of other windows??
that way instead of having to click it any time you stop to edit something you can just have it there on top.
what do you think??
i saw on the audacity list today that a transcriber was having a problem with text files like this, and i thought this may be a perfect solution for him if it could stay on top of the audacity window...since i use audacity, too...
just curious...
can;t wait to try that set list gizmo!!
thanks for posting it Todd.
wayyyyyyyyyyy very cool Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup
peace

you want that when?
toddmatherne
Participant

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2007, 09:39:32 AM »

I too have began testing the BPM Notepad application. I'm a guitarist in an active band and I continue to search ways to improve our performance. I stumbled across this forum as I was looking for an application to scroll text. I notice when we have a request that we normally don't do often we stumble through a large book looking for the words. I hate dead space on stage. Aside from that I also periodically play acoustically, duo, sequence, etc.. and becoming more relyant on a laptop as part of my music future. (Culture change here).

So, back to BPM Notepad. I thought I could format words in MS Word and then paste them into the BPM application. I noticed they just kept going back to plain text. So, after testing the XML function using a piece of sheet music in gif format http://www.8notes.com I then formatted a document in BPM and exported to XML. I then wrote a perl script that would simpy read through a text file and convert it to XML with all the attributes. So, if anyone needs a quick fix to convert text files to XML for the BPM application I have a simple but effective script to do this. Now,  I can start copying lyrics in text format, paste in Notepad, and move on. Come back after I'm done, and convert all the text files to XML from the command line.

Here's what I have noticed though, if you right click on an XML file you have the option to open the file in BPM. But BPM opens a blank document.
From a musician's standpoint, Im looking to be able to simply sort a folder by name, choose view->list and click.

But, on a more positive notes, the ability to arrange an entire show, by inserting images, chord diagrams, breaks, etc... into one document is also attractive. Imagine you the musician hosting a wedding party for 3 hours and the entire time, the application is scrolling from the first song, to the money dance, to the bride/groom speech, down to the minute? Maybe, even coordinate before hand with the wedding party and insure to them that everything will go smoothly because you now have an automated wedding coordinator. (Including lyrics, speeches, vows,) lol.

Todd
toddmatherne
Participant

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »

Hey pink, just curious, if you are using Audacity to play your backing tracks? I use audacity for recording ideas, but I'm interested in how you are using the application live.

Thanks,
Todd
Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2007, 11:11:04 AM »

is it possible to make a control to make the BPM stay on top of other windows??

Good idea, very easy to do for me as well, I'll upload a version with this included soon, maybe tomorrow

Here's what I have noticed though, if you right click on an XML file you have the option to open the file in BPM. But BPM opens a blank document.
From a musician's standpoint, Im looking to be able to simply sort a folder by name, choose view->list and click.

Well, BPM Notepad doesn't have an installer so it's not messing with any of your windows shell settings, it's not even associating the xml format with BPM Notepad, and that is probably a good thing since .XML is used by lots of other programs too. Maybe in the future we can make an installer that puts BPM Notepad in the "open with" menu when you right-click an .xml file.

I'm not entirely surprised that it's not compatible with MS Word really, i'm afraid there isn't much i can do about that.
Cool that you wrote that perl script smiley
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 11:15:53 AM by Gothi[c] » Logged
pinkjimiphoton
Supporting Member

Watt, me worry??

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2007, 02:39:32 PM »

Hey pink, just curious, if you are using Audacity to play your backing tracks? I use audacity for recording ideas, but I'm interested in how you are using the application live.

Thanks,
Todd
hey bro, i don;t use audacity live, i use it strictly for recording...i have it on my laptop to use to RECORD live , but that's about it...tho i may use the BPM gizmo to make my life easier singing unfamiliar stuff!!but live?
hell no, i use a band!
i'm actually looking for a decent small freeware sequencer to use live with my laptop tho that doesn;t screw up everything else on the machine...jsut something i can record/play midi data with.
at this point, audacity can;t support midi at all.
but if i WERE to use audacity ";ive" i;d just run the  output of my soundcard to the PA, and just play along to a pre-recorded rythm section.
could be kinda cool for rooms to small to bring a band into, but not my primary thing,ya know??
peace!

you want that when?
toddmatherne
Participant

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2007, 05:36:18 PM »

Thanks, yes, I'm a member of a four piece band as well. We each invested in the Bose L1/ B1 combination and sold our band trailor and entire PA. We setup in 15-25minutes and can scale down from 2-4 systems depending on room size. The reason I asked about Audacity live was for small acoustic or sequence gigs. Occassionally I like to just venture out and do something solo but we play 10 times a month part time and it's hard to find time to spend working with different products.

Im currently testing this loop stuff (Boss) and very interested in adding some live loops on the fly to back my self up in the band. We are just guitar(me), bass, drums and lead vocals.

Todd
toddmatherne
Participant

« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2007, 06:27:44 PM »

I found a java code that web designers use to scroll text on a webpage. I tested it with some success. The page will automatically began to scroll once you click on your local web page, but using only a browser you wouldnt have to be reliant on just MS Word.

Here's an example with Sweet Home Alabama. Just copy everything as is, paste into notepad and save it with quotations around the file name to specify .html. ex. File->Save As->"sweethome.html". This will save the file with a .html extension rather than .txt. Start at the <html> and end at the </html>. The var speed controls the tempo. Not sure if this would help, but, with a common style sheet you could simply include this java script, css style sheet and format a bulk of songs with all common font size, etc... The BPM notepad concept really got me thinking especially with the ability to insert images, establish things precisely so that they match the tempo of the song.

Enjoy!
Todd

<html>
<head>
<title>
Test
</title>
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2>
//change 1 to another integer to alter the scroll speed. Greater is faster

var speed=1

var currentpos=0,alt=1,curpos1=0,curpos2=-1

function initialize(){

startit()

}

function scrollwindow(){

if (document.all &&

!document.getElementById)

temp=document.body.scrollTop

else

temp=window.pageYOffset

if (alt==0)

alt=2

else

alt=1

if (alt==0)

curpos1=temp

else

curpos2=temp

if (curpos1!=curpos2){

if (document.all)

currentpos=document.body.scrollTop+speed

else

currentpos=window.pageYOffset+speed

window.scroll(0,currentpos)

}

else{

currentpos=0

window.scroll(0,currentpos)

}

}

function startit(){

setInterval("scrollwindow()",50)

}

window.onload=initialize

</SCRIPT>

</head>
<body>

<font size = 10>

Sweet Home Alabama

Big wheels keep on turning

Carry me home to see my kin

Singing songs about the Southland

I miss Alabamy once again

And I think its a sin, yes

Well I heard mister Young sing about her

Well, I heard ole Neil put her down

Well, I hope Neil Young will remember

A Southern man don't need him around anyhow

Sweet home Alabama

Where the skies are so blue

Sweet Home Alabama

Lord, I'm coming home to you

In Birmingham they love the governor

Now we all did what we could do

Now Watergate does not bother me

Does your conscience bother you?

Tell the truth

Sweet home Alabama

Sweet Home Alabama

Here I come Alabama

Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers

And they've been known to pick a song or two

Lord they get me off so much

They pick me up when I'm feeling blue

Now how about you?

Sweet home Alabama

Sweet Home Alabama

Sweet home Alabama

Oh sweet home baby

And the governor's true

Sweet Home Alabama

Lordy

Yea, yea Montgomery's got the answer

</font>

</body>
</html>

pinkjimiphoton
Supporting Member

Watt, me worry??

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2007, 06:27:28 AM »

cool script!
but i don;t want the bloat of having a browser running just to scroll text...
tho if it works for ya, theres a tiny free browser that may work well for that, if it supports java...it';s called "off by one" or something like that...i use that sometimes if i'm surfing in dangerous waters.
do you like the bose system?
i think my smallest marshall would probably put a severe hurtin on it...we do al ot of hendrix and zeppelin and pink floyd, some of it isn;t very quiet!!
Wink

you want that when?
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2007, 09:52:16 PM »

i was reading the latest issue of Gizmo's newsletter when i saw this.. Congrats, Gothi[c].. Thmbsup

Source: http://techsupportalert.com/issues/al_current.htm

Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2007, 10:06:35 PM »

Cool smiley

I guess i should make another release soon, I've been very busy with other projects though,
maybe i'll just do a small one with some suggestions implemented from here smiley
Cavalcader
Charter Member

Live Long & Prosper

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2007, 11:30:05 PM »

maybe i'll just do a small one with some suggestions implemented from here smiley

Methinks I can safely say that it'll be thoroughly tested.  tongue

My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?
pinkjimiphoton
Supporting Member

Watt, me worry??

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2007, 06:30:56 AM »

righteous, congrats....if ian thinks it's good, it must be!! now i gotta bust his stones, he was supposed to give my tunes some props a couple newsletters ago...lol

you want that when?
Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2007, 09:40:19 AM »

Ok, finished the new version, folks smiley

New features:

-Full screen / stay on top settings (hit the F11 button to toggle full screen)

- Adjustable speeds for the keyboard shortcuts/default speed, which gets saved along with your text when you save as .XML

So in other words, now you can hit the play button, and then hit F11 to have it scrolling full screen, you can still control the speed with the keyboard shortcuts, and pause/resume with the space bar.

Since different songs have different tempo or bpm (which is I guess, the modern term these days.) you no longer have to keep changing the speed every time you load a song, it will just use whatever settings you have set for it as soon as you load it. ( File -> Preferences  to change the speed settings )

You can go download it from http://linkerror.com/bpmn...epad.cgi?section=download

I haven't yet put all of you who suggested the features I added in the about box, but you will be in the next version. A BIG THANK YOU for all of your input everyone Wink

Still no smooth scrolling though, that one is going to involve a bit more work. The next one may or may not have it; same with the mirroring feature.

[edit]
Some small bugs i just noticed:

- You may get a window popup complaining about xml parsing when you open/save a non-xml file.
- Anything under the list menu seems broken?

Will fix it later, I will be away this weekend and have to leave soon, so I won't have time now smiley

« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 09:48:44 AM by Gothi[c] » Logged
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2007, 10:43:38 AM »

Grin Grin This is a pretty whicked idea, and you seem to have acomplished it with grand perfection, gothi[c]!
Congrats  Thmbsup Thmbsup

Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2007, 10:53:24 AM »

...and you seem to have acomplished it with grand perfection, gothi[c]!
You must have overlooked my 'Some small bugs I just noticed' section Wink
Also one very important feature missing imo (and will be added asap) is font type/size combo boxes in the toolbar.
Implementing that is easy enough, but i'm running out of space on the toolbar, so i'll be switching to multiple removable/movable/customizable toolbars. (wxWidgets has a few fun classes for that).
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2007, 11:15:27 AM »

You say that adding those controls to the app is easy with wxWidgets?
Whoa, then i should check it out! smiley

Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »

Yep, check out the aui demo in the wxWidgets samples, also check:

http://www.wxwidgets.org/...erview.html#wxauioverview
http://www.wxwidgets.org/...dockart.html#wxauidockart
http://www.wxwidgets.org/...uitabart.html#wxauitabart
http://www.wxwidgets.org/...manager.html#wxauimanager
http://www.wxwidgets.org/...tebook.html#wxauinotebook
http://www.wxwidgets.org/...neinfo.html#wxauipaneinfo

and the regular toolbar too of course
pinkjimiphoton
Supporting Member

Watt, me worry??

« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2007, 03:18:07 PM »

Ok, finished the new version, folks smiley

New features:

-Full screen / stay on top settings (hit the F11 button to toggle full screen)
  [ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ]

- Adjustable speeds for the keyboard shortcuts/default speed, which gets saved along with your text when you save as .XML

So in other words, now you can hit the play button, and then hit F11 to have it scrolling full screen, you can still control the speed with the keyboard shortcuts, and pause/resume with the space bar.

Since different songs have different tempo or bpm (which is I guess, the modern term these days.) you no longer have to keep changing the speed every time you load a song, it will just use whatever settings you have set for it as soon as you load it. ( File -> Preferences  to change the speed settings )

You can go download it from http://linkerror.com/bpmn...epad.cgi?section=download

I haven't yet put all of you who suggested the features I added in the about box, but you will be in the next version. A BIG THANK YOU for all of your input everyone Wink

Still no smooth scrolling though, that one is going to involve a bit more work. The next one may or may not have it; same with the mirroring feature.

[edit]
Some small bugs i just noticed:

- You may get a window popup complaining about xml parsing when you open/save a non-xml file.
- Anything under the list menu seems broken?

Will fix it later, I will be away this weekend and have to leave soon, so I won't have time now smiley

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!
thanks dude!
looking forward to trying it, DL'ing now.
the earlier one won;t run on my lame dell laptop, keeps saying "it needs to be reinstalled"...go figure....must be an incompatible app in that POC.
anyways....more later...thanks again for making this vision a reality!
peace brother
jimi

you want that when?
Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2007, 01:23:43 AM »

Updated the website a bit.
pinkjimiphoton
Supporting Member

Watt, me worry??

« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2007, 01:01:14 PM »

kewl!!!

you want that when?
Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2007, 04:33:29 AM »

New minor release (bugfix from previous version): http://linkerror.com/bpmn...?section=download;lang=en

Everything under the list menu works as it's supposed to now. I think I forgot to test that stuff in all the previous versions, but bullets and numbering and all that stuff seems to work great now Wink And saving as non-xml no longer nags.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.069s | Server load: 0.05 ]