ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

F&R fans get an update

<< < (5/5)

rbeeger:
I don't think the database size is really a problem. F&R doesn't search inside the files. Only file names are searched. So even if you have a database of 1000 file names with each filename having no more than 100 characters. Thats 1600000 bytes or1.5 MB  in Unicode. Add some database metadata and it won't be bigger than 2 or maybe 3 MB.
I think this could be an option. I don't need it since I only use F&R to find programs and use a 3.4 GHz computer, but users with slower computers or with a bigger amount of files to be searched may need this badly.

mouser:
i'm really going to give the database idea some thought, but i think id like to first add all the other features we have been talking about.
as kfitting says, one of the problems with doing the database approach is all the issues wrt updating the index, etc.
one possibility might be to make f&r able to read one of the existing database formats used by google desktop search or something..
the place a database search could really help is if you only indexed/searched certain files - like if user said, index all *.exe and *.doc, and *.mp3 and leave the rest alone.  also indexing would save huge amounts of time if you expected to search on things like mp3 id tags.

we should keep talking about it though. i have mixed feelings on the subject.

Carol Haynes:
I wouldn't want to use existing indexes - I have tried all of the desktop search utilities and don't really like any of them. They gobble up disk space like no tomorrow and always want to reindex when you least want it.

WRT updating an index for F&R I would have thought either manual updating or using the schedule mananger would work OK.

Unless you constantly install and uninstall new software that need to be accessed via F&R I wouldn't have thought the index would need to be updated too often.

It would be nice if files (such as .exe) could be dragged and dropped onto the F&R window too to produce a button quickly without having to search..

mouser:
i am going to add ability to drag and drop files onto toolbar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version