ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

F&R fans get an update

<< < (4/5) > >>

mouser:
help file hasn't been updated yet but it should launch when you select help, i'll fix that.

you can adjust the size of the area reserved for buttons, just drag the divider (perhaps ill try to autosize it in next versoin).

ok so the buttons...
you can put on the buttons documents or programs (you can also right click an entry to add it to toolbar buttons), or configure specific commands directly.

commands to launch as buttons can be simple standalone launches, OR can be configured to launch the currently selected file, by using the %file% parameter in the commandline.

so for example, you could add buttons for your text editor, hex editor, mp3 player, etc.
do a search select the file and then push the button to open it in the text editor.

--

as for drag and drop out.. there aren't too many cases where it would be useful, but let's say you had an ftp program, you could search for files and then drag them out of find and run robot into the ftp program to tranfer.  stuff like that.

kfitting:
Ahhhhh, ok, your explanations make sense.

I like the toolbar idea a lot, I just wonder if there could be a way to integrate it with the keyboard more.  RIght now, to use it requires hitting the hotkey to bring up FindRun, then using the mouse to "launch" the button.  Like I said, I think the toolbar is a good idea, just trying to brainstorm if it could be more fully incorporated into the "keyboard centric" flow of FindRun.

Kevin

Carol Haynes:
This version seems to work well for me.

Note I had no probs using the Help button ???

Couple of suggestions (speedwise). I like to search Program files too but I have such a lot of stuff it is really slow.

(1) How about in the next version allowing F&R to take a snapshot of all pattern-matching searched for in Program files and Windows folders and use that snapshot for speed. An update button could be included to regenerate the snapshots whenever you want (including if pattern-matching is altered).

(2) How about allowing the launch list items to be edited? That way for example an EXE file name could be replaced by something more meaningful.

(3) How about the use buttons being put on a sepatare toolbar with a config button at the end. This would save the search bar being altered in size and remove the need for a Configuartion context menu.

mouser:
kfitting, yes good point - it's currently not at all keyboard friendly..
two possibilities - allow user to assign hot keys to them vs. ctrl+1 through ctrl+9 to be equiv to hitting buttons 1-9 ?
or else just say this is a non-keyboard thing aspect.

carol,
1) i am currently debating with myself whether to use an optional database snapshot.. i still have to think about it more.
2) i think maybe best solution would be in the aliases allow user to specify a more meaninful name, that is a reasonable compromise i think.
3) i can actually make it so user can decide easily whether to have tools on separate row from text edit, so that is a good idea.

kfitting:
I personally dont see the need to make the buttons Ctrl1-9 capable... why not just assign a hotkey to an exe?  But, if buttons could be made to do more than just launching.... (and here I draw a blank).  A quick cheesy example that can probably be done already another way would be if you could make a button launch a series of files, then it might be worth using the mouse.  Or, if the buttons would change FindRun configuration in some way (yes, I realize I'm stepping all over the earlier arguments!).  Or maybe you could assign buttons for how you want the programs to appear on screen (upper left, centered, maximised, tiled vertically) as they opened.  I dont have many ideas just now (I actaully do much better combining ideas or thinking up variations... that's why I'm an engineer!), but the buttons lend themselves to some very advanced commands (once we think of them!).

Regarding the whole snapshot idea: in some ways I think this is a great idea, and with your database experience from CHS, it may not be too hard to implement.  However, the biggest problems I see are: how do you get the items into the database, and how do you keep database filesize down?  You could index in the background, but then FindRun cant pick up changed files on the fly.  You could index as you search, but this would slow down initial searches a lot and somewhat slow down later searches since a comparison needs to be done.  An idea worthy of further consideration, however.

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version