ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

F&R fans get an update

(1/5) > >>

mouser:
ok, its just a start but here is a new version for beta testing. it has 2 features that have long been requested:
1) right click and you can choose to see normal shell context menu for the item.
2) easy menu group for adding an item to an alias, which can make building aliases (one of the nicer features but often unused) much easier.  plus a couple more minor things.

download from beta location:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Beta/FindAndRunRobot.exe

Version 1.05.22, August 27, 2005
 · Added instructions about right-clicking in options tabs 
 · Added normal shell context menu pop-up 
 · Added "add to group" menu item for easy alias making 
 · Added scrollbars to alias listbox 
 · Added License key code 
 · Added alt+space hotkey 
 · bugfix - hotkeys weren't being set on startup 
 · bugfix - horizontal scrollbar was being shown on start 

this is just a teaser to let you know that F&R is going to get all the nice features we've been talking about in the near future :)

and if you havent tried (group) aliases yet, now is the time: add a bunch of links to an alias, then just type the alias to show and choose from that list.

let me know if you see any problems with the new features.

kfitting:
Comments after a few minutes of fooling around with the new version:

- Could the normal shell context menu be made into a submenu?  This would eliminate the need for a click and also avoid the "hanging menu" look (when you open the context menu, it appears far away from the file you actually clicked on).
- The Window for the aliases looks mis-sized.  The bottom edge cuts off some of the ok/cancel buttons.  Not a big deal functionaly, everything still works, but it just looks kind of funny!
- I may be "backward" or stuck in the past, but could you add a browse to file button in the alias creation window?  I realize you can drag 'n drop and add from the main window of FindRun (possibly the most useful) but it feels weird not to be able to browse for the file you want.  Drag 'n drop requires you to open explorer (or your superious explorer replacement of choice) and then add files.  All ways are useful I think.

Other than that... will keep playing.  Looks good so far though.  I also noticed that reaction time is better.  Before, pressing the hotkey brought FindRun to the front but then you had to wait a second or so while it flashed the history at you.  Now, it just comes up and is ready to go!  Nice...  Thanks for the update,

Kevin

mouser:
i i will add the browse button, i will fix the button locations.

i will improve context menu thing.  i will *try* to make it a submenu, but i can't guaruntee it, just because of the steps involved in fetching it and displaying it.  at the least i think i can make it appear exactly where it should if it were a submenu.

im going to be adding more features in the next week - i'd like to start with the non-revolutionary features first and go from there, so i'd definitely be interested in hearing peoples favorite things they have been waiting for..

i will also try to add the ability to drag and drop from results out of f&r and into other programs now.

kfitting:
Got two ideas for you:

- First, I realized I spoke too soon regarding the start up speed I mentioned above: FindRun still flashes its history once before attaining focus.  I think sometimes it happens so fast I don't see it, but it can take a noticeable amount of time and keeps anything from being typed into the search window.  Is this able to be corrected?  I press pause/break, FindRun comes to the top with the history showing (as normal), then goes blank, then brings the history back up.  This usually is the worst when other things are going on, so I'm sure it's related to processor speed, but why does FindRun need to flash the history at all?

- Second, is there a way you can resume a search?  As you type you can hit escape to stop the search, but if you stop it you can't resume from where you left off.  This sounds trivial but it's something I've tried to do more than a couple times. 

Don't know if these is possible, just trying to think of new "quick" features!

Kevin

Carol Haynes:
I may be missing something here - where is the context menu popup?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version