ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software to compress large pdf files

<< < (4/5) > >>

tomos:
Over a year on - anyone currently using PDF compressing software ?

I'm looking for something that will compress a PDF where the fonts are embedded (full font embedded which increases size a good bit) - there's no "bitmap" (jpeg etc) images included - vector art and text only.

I installed the trial of JAWs which made very impressively small quality PDF's but also seemed to mess up some file associations (I'm not sure there, so I'm going to give it another go and do it more scientifically)

Preferably free for the moment but I am considering purchasing some PDF creator anyway
Will have a look at IrfanView while I'm here ;)

Darwin:
Hi Tom - I was using an Ovis application called PDF-DocPro. which works "OK", but since moving to Vista I have bothered installing it. Instead, I rely on Nuance's PDF Converter Professional 5, which has a powerful "Optimize" feature that compresess pdfs for me...

tomos:
Hi Tom - I was using an Ovis application called PDF-DocPro. which works "OK", but since moving to Vista I have bothered installing it. Instead, I rely on Nuance's PDF Converter Professional 5, which has a powerful "Optimize" feature that compresess pdfs for me...
-Darwin (March 05, 2009, 07:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
thanks Mike,
I thought you'd be able to give me a pointer ;)
PDF-DocPro = OK @ 73$ doesnt sound so good. Will read up on PDF Converter Pro

Darwin:
Wow! Is that the price of DocPro these days?! I bought it at $29 years ago and it's autoupgraded for free ever since, so I'd not noticed the price creeping up.

PDF Professional is good, and is frequently on sale now. It's also available in stores, usually cheaper than online, if that helps.

BTW Ovis is a German company, so you might find boxed versions in stores as well...

bianca never7:
:) Use IrfanView with the Postscript and ImPDF plugins from http://www.irfanview.com to decrease the colors, reduce the quality, or whatever you have to do to shrink those PDF files.

And it's free!

:Thmbsup:

I use this command line to make black and white PDFs:

--- ---i_view32.exe "in.pdf" /bpp=1 /convert="out.pdf"
Skrommel
-skrommel (March 29, 2007, 04:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version