ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software to compress large pdf files

(1/5) > >>

jdd:
Does anyone know of a program that will compress (not archive) large .pdf files and significantly shrink their size.  I found a really good one called PdfCompressor 3.1 but it costs $300. :o

http://www.cvisiontech.com/pdf_compressor_31.html

Darwin:
There's a utility by Ovis call pdf-DocPro, which is shareware ($47 - which I consider steep - $300 would have to come with absolute guarantees!) and PDF Compressor which is freeware. I used PDF Compressor and had some luck with it, but better luck with pdf-DocPro, though in my experience the amount of compressoin achievable has a lot to do with the options selected during pdf creation. This works for me because I am usually trying to create smaller pdfs, rather than compress pdfs that someone else has created.

I just googled and found this one, confusingly ALSO call PDF Compressor (scroll about half way down the page for "Free PDF Compressor v. 2.81). Haven't tried it, but it's free!

jdd:
I downloaded a trial version of pdf-DocPro and it would not compress any of my test files by more than a few %.  I had already tried the free PDF Compressor without much luck.  This other program (PdfCompressor 3.1) will crush a 10 to 20 Meg + pdf file by well over 50% and the resulting quality is very impressive.  Too bad it's so damn expensive.

Darwin:
I haven't tried PDF Compressor 3.1 so can't comment (I'm tempted to try the trial, but why bother - way out of my price range) but sadly my experience with both pdf-DocPro and PDF Compressor (the bureausoft one) mirrors yours. As I said, I have to work hard to get pdf-DocPro to do much compresson at all. Did you try the "other" PDF Compressor (actually, I guess it's the THIRD one!)? I haven't but will download and install now to see how it does.

Darwin:
OK I've downloaded and tried the NicePDF PDF Compressor and it is a dud... I didn't successfully create a single compressed pdf on numerous tries. I generated a 28.8MB pdf from a powerpoint presentation using FinePrint and Scansoft PDF Converter 4 set to create a PDF 1.4 without any compression of the graphics. Using PDF Compressor, I often wound up with a 395KB damaged pdf file. The rest of the time the program simply stopped responding, leaving a damaged 985KB file.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version