topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Total Commander 7.50 public beta 1 - mini-review  (Read 82189 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Total Commander 7.50 public beta 1 - mini-review
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2009, 09:01 AM »
Total Commander 7.5 final has been released!
-fenixproductions (September 09, 2009, 04:37 PM)

And looking over the changelog & seeing the obscure bugs that were fixed for this release really gives one an idea of how solid Total Commander really is. Now the official forum can move on to pestering poor Christian about what should be in v8.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2009, 09:32 AM »
Now the official forum can move on to pestering poor Christian about what should be in v8.

Except for "file collections" (a la DOpus), I can't imagine what I would want to add! Especially now that TC has directory breadcrumbs and the optional as-you-type filtering of the file list.

So I'm a hopeless fanboy, but TC is that rare kind of program whose author seems to always be a step ahead from me in his designs. Usually you wish for a feature, request it and maybe see it implemented in a later version. With TC it's been the opposite: when I thought it needed a particular feature, I looked and most of the time it was already there.

Minor wishes, maybe. Here's a great concept that TC might steal from DOpus: as-you -type selection with the colon key: The : key opens the Lister Search field in selection mode. In this mode, all files and folders that contain the entered search string are selected. For example, to quickly select all text files, press :.txt and then return. To cancel the selection press escape.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2009, 10:26 AM »
Minor wishes, maybe. Here's a great concept that TC might steal from DOpus: as-you -type selection with the colon key: The : key opens the Lister Search field in selection mode. In this mode, all files and folders that contain the entered search string are selected. For example, to quickly select all text files, press :.txt and then return. To cancel the selection press escape.
I did not know that!  Way cool!

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2009, 10:48 AM »
I did not know that!  Way cool!

It is. DOpus has a few other keys that initiate these special modes, some of them to assist in executing commands, but TC already does those other things, and in general I prefer TC's command-line to the DOpus implementation. (See "Navigation by Keys" on page 71 in DOpus Reference Manual PDF).

As for file selection, TC has Alt+Num Plus, which selects all files with the same extension. This is often good enough, but using the DOPus way you can select files matching any string you type.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2009, 04:01 PM »
It is indeed true that the things that can be added to TC is truly becoming a small list. In addition to 'collections' the only things that I can think of that have any major rumblings in the official forum are virtual file panels and cd/dvd burning.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2009, 02:58 PM »
Total Commander 7.50a final is available now!

Lots of small fixes for bugs found in latest final.

Official announcement:
http://www.ghisler.c...iewtopic.php?t=24115