topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Text xpander that can handle RTF  (Read 11437 times)

cnewtonne

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Text xpander that can handle RTF
« on: March 18, 2007, 07:14 AM »
Does any know of a txt xpander that can handle rich text? I currently use SpellCatcher and MacroExpress, but none does RTF. I came across InstantText and FastFox. The former is outrageously priced at $190 and the later is unfairly priced as compared to its very minimal options.

If you have a suggestions, please make sure it does support RTF before you reply.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Text xpander that can handle RTF
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 07:01 AM »
What do you mean by "support RTF?"  That is, if you're in an RTF word processor, all you're seeing is the text, so presumably most text expanders would work?

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:53 AM »
I'd assume that it's not just to expand the text with the current position's formatting, but to expand it with the "saved" formatting??  :-\

For example: If I want "clr" to expand into "Colour", there's no way a simple expanding is going to work.

- Perry

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 08:00 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that wasn't sure what to make of the request   :huh:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:05 AM »
I decided to take a look at Fast Fox and note that it's discounted at the moment from $39 to $19.95 - were you aware of that cnewtonne? If so, does it help?!

As noted above, I'm not absolutely sure of your requirements, but wonder if this thread on the ActiveWords forum sheds light on the issue that you're looking to resolve?

cnewtonne

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 10:05 AM »
Most Xpanders allow you to save snippets in plain text. Only the 2 I mentioned can save snippets in RTF format and they're able to retrieve it as such.

I have seen ClipCache handle this and I'm using it right now. With this app, you can save any clip in any format you like then use its 'favorites' feature to retrieve it. Pretty handy and does the job. You can see it here http://www.xrayz.co....pcache/?page=default.

cnewtonne

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 10:07 AM »
Did not see the discount for FastFox, but it was so minimal on features that I still think it is not worth the price (in my humble opinion). Also, I do not rememer seeing it allowing shortkeys to expand. You have to navigate menues or entries which I like the very least. May be one day someone will write a FARR plugin that allows to do this.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 10:37 AM »
Type Pilot says this:

You can use Type Pilot as a depository for storing thousands of long words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs or even entire messages. You don't even have to define keywords for them - any phrase can be easily "extracted" from Type Pilot using a tree-like structure. The program works in any word processor.

You can also use Type Pilot as your usual pim (personal information manager). The program allows you to keep any text, formatted text, OLE objects (ex. pictures, waves and so on) in a tree-like structure.

Note the word "formatted," but, they don't specify exactly what they mean by that.

atopsoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 12:26 AM »
Could you try our product, ATopSoft DeskCake?
The web link is
http://www.atopsoft....m/products/deskcake/

With the "Clipboard content" action in it, you can store data in any format (RTF, image, HTML, file drops, etc) then expand it in any editor.
So you can store RTF format then put the data into Word or other text processor by a simple command or a shortcut key.
DeskCake is a tool to help you to greatly improve your productivity and it has many other features such like application launcher, multiple clipboard (clipboard extender), etc.
DeskCake is in version 2.0 now, but it's still under heavily development because I expect to add more very useful and exciting features to it.
So we haven't done much promotion yet.

If you would like to try it and give us some feedback, I will really appreciate your help.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 02:08 AM »
Could you try our product, ATopSoft DeskCake?
The web link is
http://www.atopsoft....m/products/deskcake/

Hey, Hi and Welcome! It certainly looks good, if not a little over-featured.

But I really like the look of AutoSave! It's AutoBackUp is similar to File Hamster (which really is a great programme!

- Perry

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 03:50 AM »
You can also try the free (for personal use) Phrase Express 4 Beta. The beta adds support for formatted text (f.e. RTF) and vista compatibility.

I have tried it for a day now and it's very versatile without becoming too complicated.

atopsoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 09:04 AM »
Hey, Hi and Welcome! It certainly looks good, if not a little over-featured.

But I really like the look of AutoSave! It's AutoBackUp is similar to File Hamster (which really is a great programme!

- Perry

-Perry Mowbray (March 22, 2007, 02:08 AM)
Hello, Perry,

About AutoSave,
I feel glad that you like it. But to be honest, AutoSave is *not* a backup program. It's a utility that automatically saves your editing content in the background. And for Photoshop and MS Office, it can backup the document when and only when saving. So it can't backup your Photoshop document when you are not working in Photoshop.

About DeskCake's features,
Even there have been enough features in DeskCake that worth the price, we will add more great features into it. Because we really expect DeskCake can become a great tool to improve the users' productivity and efficiency.
And all features will be accessed through a consistent approach, i.e. the action. So even some feature is too complex, it's still easy to use.

Thank you for your kind words.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 06:55 AM »
PhraseExpress mimics typing and I found no way to paste instant, so I stopped relying on it for programming aids unfortunately.