ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Lookinjg for a "FTP-Size" tool

(1/2) > >>

crono:
Hi,

I need to check some FTP-Quotas. Is there a Tool which connects to the FTP-Server, lists the files and sums up the filesize? In the best case it runs from the commandline and exports the file -> size list in a Excel importable format. Any suggestions?

thx
Crono

f0dder:
Some ftp servers have more advanced features through the "SITE" command, which might be able to do what you want. Failing that, a lot of servers support a "recursive ls listing" (which makes this job a lot easier), but it is unfortunately turned off on a lot of servers, since it can be used for DOS attack.

So, before looking further for an app to do this, I'd check if your server supports one of these methods.

crono:
Hi f0dder,

thanks for the suggestions. I'm running on a shared Host and the only SITE Commandos available are CHMOD, IDLE and UTIME. ls -lR seems to be disabled also. I think Im going to script it by myself...

f0dder:
Ah, how unfortunate - but not surprising for a shared host (hell, not surprising for any kind of non-dedicated server).

I'd be surprised if there isn't some free tool that does recursive scanning, though.

crono:
I remember that I already had a tool which does this thing :-* (years ago). I think it was called ftpsize - I searched but couldn't find it on the web anymore... I believe the producer was a company (or site) called albinoblacksheep (or something like that) - but not the Flash Movie guys :) - ah this is confusing... I'll take a nap  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version