topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 9:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Booting into Linux from USB drive  (Read 4906 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Booting into Linux from USB drive
« on: March 16, 2007, 11:36 AM »
I haven't fooled with Mono yet.  Although, I am interested  in obtaining a Linux distro that will run on my USB 2.0Gb Seagate pocket-drive.  Right now, I'm downloading Puppy Linux, SuSe 10 (comes with MonoDevelop IDE), and Monoppix.  Anyone have any experience with any of these, or another distro that they have successfully installed to USB and booted into Linux from that USB?

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Booting into Linux from USB drive
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 01:26 PM »
I have ran puppy linux from a cd, it wasn't that bad, I can't say much about it, because I didn't use it for very long
[Insert really cool signature here]

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 02:10 PM »
I understand that Puppy loads in its entirety into RamDisk memory, and is blazing fast.  I've also read that it has a relatively easy learning curve for Windowites like myself.  The reason I'm primarily interested in a "live distro" is that I'd like to be able to carry around my entire operating system and my C# dev files with me on my pocket USB drive.  That way, wherever I am, I'd have my files and the MonoDevelop IDE (Visual C# 2005 might work too, if Wine works with the distro). 

I've read that there is a utility that comes with the Puppy distro that makes installing Puppy OS to a USB drive a snap.  Supposedly, you first bust the .ISO and burn the distro onto CD, then reboot into Puppy by booting off the CD.  Then you use the utility to install the Puppy OS on the USB drive.

Hoping to test it out this weekend, but I thought I'd try to pick others' brains about it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 02:12 PM by kyrathaba »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 11:58 PM »
I am running Linux right now (as I type this) as an embedded OS within Windows XP :D  Pretty cool.  I'm actually accessing this website and posting this using Linux.  It's running as a VM on a Seagate 2.0 Gb pocket drive, and Windows doesn't seem to mind at all :) 

Now I just need to see if I can install MonoDevelop on this same USB pocket drive, and I'm in business (rubs hands together).  But that must wait till tomorrow.  Must sleep.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 02:01 PM »
Im working on downloading puppy linux right now, figured I might as well learn some sort of linux, it is becoming popular.
[Insert really cool signature here]

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 08:00 PM »
I'm downloading Puppy, too, Nite Monkey.   However, I just finished downloading  SuSe 10 which comes with MonoDevelop.  I'll report back on how that works.