topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Bugs 'n' suggestion  (Read 38135 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bugs 'n' suggestion
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2005, 08:57 PM »
i've uploaded a new beta version of the exe (same url),
can you try it again and tell me what it shows in the new popup box when it does its mistake of not asking on save?
hopefully this will be the last clue i need.
(ironic that screenshot captor can't be used to capture an image of itself isnt it?)

https://www.donation...ScreenshotCaptor.exe

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2005, 05:15 AM »
I think I have narrowed it down a bit ...

here are the gui responses with the Debugging version.

The other thing I have noticed is that JPG files respond correctly, but I have been saving my desktop as GIF files, and they do not respond correctly!

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2005, 05:27 AM »
Tried the new beta but it is still happening.

Oddly after I installed your debug version I restored the original version and it then started happening intermittently in all formats, but then started working fine !!!

The new beta seems to be an intermittent problem too - once it starts to work properly it seems fine, but it didn't work properly to start with ???

All very strange ... :-[

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2005, 05:38 AM »
i believe the cause can be seen is in your screenshot.
somehow an extra space is finding its way into the filename when it saves it and its causing it to think the file is not overwriting an existing file.  see how the two file names in the debug message are different only in that the first has an extra space?

ok i think i have enought info to fix this now.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2005, 05:41 AM »
and i just confirmed that the reason i wasnt seeing it in mine is that i had changed my quickfield and filename template from the default values.

the default values you are using are causing the odd extra space in file names.

this also explains the intermitentness - i will bet dollars to donuts that when it seemed to be working for you is when you were working with files that had already been saved with dif name.

ok i should be able to fix this in next hour or so, then i can get back to working on next version of find&run robot.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2005, 05:57 AM »
Thanks - you're a star.

Sometimes I don't see the wood for the trees.

Don't forget to correct the button routine link too :P

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2005, 06:12 AM »
allright, here is the second test:

not yet.

First iam "only" allowed to attach <501kB
Second iam not allowed to attach *rar.001 files
So i send it by eMail now.

=======
If swimming's such good exercise, how come whales are so fat?

AbteriX

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2005, 06:15 AM »
OK, i seen it's not necessary anymore to do so  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2005, 06:19 AM »
ok i think i've solved it.

new full download here:
https://www.donation...ScreenshotCaptor.exe

remember you can unzip this file manually and extract just the new exe, OR you can just run the installer on top of previous installation (make sure old version isnt running in tray at the time).

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2005, 07:50 AM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2005, 08:09 AM »
ps.
am i hallucinating or does stefan's avatar keep changing  :huh:

gottadoit

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2005, 08:31 AM »
Mouser,
  Just giving screenshot captor 1.02.07 a try and managed to get an "Access violation at address 0. Read of address 0."

It would be nice to have a field called basefilename that stripped off  anything forward of the first '.' in the executable name for use in the filename and comment templates

When I select "Copy to Clipboard" after screenshot captor has intercepted the call the creator application name is being lost
  In this case I was doing a screen capture from GSS (Jason_R0's Registry Defend program) and without ScreenShot captor doing its thing I see the "Creator" of the clip as GSS with with it running it is reported as "WINDOWS". It would be nice if you could manage to leave that information unchanged....
  NB: I am looking at the Creator as presented by Clipmate so the logic involved to get the app name is whatever that program is using (unless that is actually something stored with the clip)

In addition to "use timer" it would be nice to if you optionally hooked window creation so that you got a snapshot of any new windows shortly after it was painted and then could apply a timer to see changes as well; a sort of simple movie mode....

Also I find that the zoom control on the right hand side is a bit too sensitive to where I am clicking... for example to bring the window forward I click somewhere in the right edge of the screen and get a high level of zoom as well as bringing the window to the front. It would be a little more friendly if at least some part of that right edge didn't interact with the zoom function because at first glance it "looks" like an empty area that should do nothing when you click on it...

If I include something like %windowtitle% in the template filename and the title is long then no autosave is happening, it would be nice to have the save still happen and just automatically truncate the name

Overall a very nice application, you have obviously put a lot of effort into making it and making it easy to use

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2005, 08:42 AM »
I like the idea of a movie mode too ... this could be incorporated into a GIF animation file type.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2005, 08:52 AM »
hi gottadoit,

if you can figure out anything more about that access error i'd love to hear more, i've yet to see one and any clues would help.

good idea about basefilename, i will add it in next release.

im not sure im fully understanding what you are saying about the copy to clipboard interception of application name.. can you try to explain it a bit more?

i think the timer idea is a good once, and a smart mode to only capture when screen changes is a good idea, i just have to figure out if i can do it efficiently.

ok fair enought about right hand side of window, i will fix that so that the rightmost edge of window doesnt trigger zoom.

ill have to check out the problem with long file names - i will definitely add an autotruncate if thats a problem.  any more insight into this you can shed would be welcome.

gottadoit

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2005, 11:44 AM »
Mouser,
Clipmate is getting the application name from somewhere and recording it with the clip that it stores
Somehow when your prog is in the clipboard chain, it sounds like you don't just take the data and allow it to flow on down the chain but instead do something so the clipmate cannot determine the origin window/app
I haven't actually looked at the detail that come through with each copy to the clipboard so I'm probably not using the correct terms to match the objects/structures that windows provides

As far as the access error goes, I've only had it once so far... but encountered it during my initial play (in the first 15 mins of use)

Glad to hear you like the idea of auto snapshots, one of the things that I would like to snapshot when debugging things is when using process explorer and getting stack traces from a thread, when you click on "stack" it pops up a little window with the current stack trace and then to get an idea of what the process is doing you can simply do it a few dozen times....
The thing is that doing it quickly is the only way to get useful information so either a screen recorder "movie" style is needed or something that captures the window fairly quickly (with minimal keystrokes or automagically) so that the mouse can be used to dismiss the new window and get the next stack trace...
Why do I collect information this way... some programs have anti-debugger functionality built in and all I really need is a few stack traces during the actual "problem" to get an idea of where the problem area might be and then come up with a few things to test to get an idea of how close my guesses were

For the long name problem, I had specified for my template
   ss%num% %productname% - %windowtitle%
 Product Name was Ghost Security Suite
 Window Title was Ghost Security Suite v1.001 - http://www.ghostsecurity.com
And that string was simply too long, you had truncated the name in the middle of the url and for some reason that was causing the program not to save the image to disk, also because it wasn't saving to disk the %num% wasn't incrementing

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2005, 07:59 PM »
thanks gottadoit i will try to fix long filenames issue and clipboard issue.

so the clipboard issue shouldnt be from screenshot captor since screenshot captor doesn't grab clipboard info - is it from our other clipboard help+spell tool? OR maybe i think you are saying that the nature of capturing a screenshot makes clipmate get confused about the running app.. if so, could you elaborate what you would like clipmate to see when you capture a screen?

what i would like to do for autocapture is specify options like this:
[] capture a screenshot every __ seconds
[] capture a screenshot whenever screen changes

AbteriX

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2005, 03:13 AM »
what i would like to do for autocapture is specify options like this:
[] capture a screenshot every __ seconds
[] capture a screenshot whenever screen changes
[] but not more than [ 200] MB saved (if you leave SC working alone)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2005, 03:29 AM »
good idea :)

gottadoit

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2005, 11:12 PM »
I am having some "issues" with the automatic saving of the captured images, what options do I need to select so that it will automatically save every captured image to a file ?

I have %num% in my filename template so that all the files will (hopefully) be uniquely named
I have copy to clipboard selected so that clipmate will also receive the data so I can see that the images went via Captor (the source is WINDOWS instead of the program)

Thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2005, 11:41 PM »
i will look into the clipboard copy thing, maybe i can put the info into the clipboard more nicely.

can you describe the issues you are having about auto saving?

gottadoit

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2005, 07:36 AM »
Regarding the auto saving, if I do an alt-printscreen captor pops up and shows the image (and copies it to the clipboard)
Nothing shows up in the file list, but I have realised that even when it does save I may need to manually refresh....
So I continue on doing more alt-printscreens to get more screenshots....

Then when I went to captor to see what it had saved... I found a subset of the pictures that had passed through the clipboard saved as files
I can be (fairly) sure of this because those same images (both the ones that captor got and those it missed) are still present in clipmate....

The box was  a little busy at the time (100% CPU util), the issue I was having a look at was related to opening a large application log file; is there a possibility that being somewhat starved of CPU could cause the app to malfunction ?

Thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2005, 08:20 AM »
i will try to do a stress test on it, with the clipboard copy enabled.
one thing to definitely do is make sure the capture sound is enabled in screenshot captor, that way if you hear the sound, then you know that screenshot captor grabbed it.  screenshot captor icon also turns red briefly.

so my first question is, is it capturing but not saving, or not even capturing?

i suspect that there is some problem going on with the auto saving, like its geting confused about the file name.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2005, 08:25 AM »
note: this is very important for us to fix - so i appreciate the report and hope you'll keep giving me feedback so we can find the cause.
one thing screenshot captor should never do is loose a screenshot.

gottadoit

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2005, 08:41 AM »
I am fairly sure that it got the screenshot because the source of the image was identified as WINDOWS in clipmate (rather than the actual application)
  ... a sure sign that captor was involved

At least one of the images was manually saved because captor didn't seem to want to save it
I would think it more likely that the problem is one that revolved around not saving rather than not getting the screenshot

In Templates :

my Default File Name is   "ss%num% %productname% - %windowtitle%"

my Default Comment is :
%windowtitle%
%nicename%
%quickfield%
%datetime%
%productname%
%filename%
%fullfilename%

Hope that helps

Another little thing... if you select the whole image and "Blur, Grey, Dim outside of selection" it does it INSIDE the selection....

And then another (more inconsistent problem as it doesn't always happen) after that a UNDO (single or multiple ones) doesn't always return it to the way it was... sometimes you need to UNDO (multiple times - when trying just now I did it 4 times and it was still left BLURred), then BLUR and then UNDO twice to get it back again
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 08:51 AM by gottadoit »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2005, 08:56 AM »
i think it might be the %num% thing might be confusing it somehow - that is what i am going to try to look into.  probably it is something simple.  if you figure out any more clues as to what makes it not save please do let me know; meanwhile i will test and try to trigger it myself.

may i ask what operating system you are using and what file format you have screenshot captor saving as?

i will fix the issue that happens when you ahve whole image selected, thank you.

as for the undo past blur,dim, grey - yes this is by design but quite confusing i know.
maybe i will just make it so there is only one undo to undo all 3.  the command actually performs all 3 operations, so it lets you undo them one at a time..  i think that command is the only one that does it.