ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Choosing a keyboard and a mouse

(1/5) > >>

Lashiec:
DonationCoder is full of heavy computer users. Between software developers, hyperactive members and prolific writers, one can say this is one of the finest sources of information when it comes to keyboard and mouse usage. After all, Find & Run Robot is (probably) mouser's most used piece of software, everyone and his/her dog is a die-hard fan of AutoHotkey, and it even has its own team of olympic computer users, led by app.

After these words, written for you to have something nice to read before we reach the boring part :), comes my pack of questions. I'm completely lost in the task of buying a new keyboard and a mouse. OK, maybe I'm not so lost when it comes to mouses, but keyboards are difficult for me. So I'll be more than glad you'll be able to give me a helping hand. So let's start:

* Should I buy a wireless keyboard + mouse combination? Do wireless keyboards have some caveats compared with their corded counterparts?
* Do ergonomic keyboards really make that difference in comfort? What about Logitech's "Zero Degree Tilt" 'technology'? I know that palm rests are mandatory for a good experience typing
* What about optical and laser technologies for mouses? Is the extra cost worth it?
* Do you have any recommendation on affordable Genius or Logitech specific products? That means no mention of diNovo or MX Revolution ;)
* Finally, can someone explain me how is possible that there's no company capable of making quality non-gimmicky keyboards?
I think that's all. Thanks in advance!

mouser:
Just some brief observations:

1) I didn't think i would need a wireless mouse -- now i wouldn't go back to a wired one, the wire does become annoying and an obstacle.  Only downside is need to change or recharge batteries.  Read reviews to make sure you don't end up with a mouse needing an inconvenient recharge every 10 minutes.  I had a rechargable one once that had to be put in its "base" to recharge, which i just could not ever remember to do.  Never had any trouble with reception of my wireless mice.

2) Wireless keyboard - can't see the use for this if you dont work from bed/couch/etc and constantly move keyboard.  However, given quality of wireless mouse transmission i can't see any reason why the wireless keyboards would have any noticable defficiencies over wired versions.

3) i've had bad experience mixing microsoft and logitech mice recently, and so i would probably go with either both MS keyboard+mouse or both logitech keyboard and mouse.  Ive used mice and keyboards from both companies and been very happy.

4) i'm currently using the MS ergonomic 4000 keyboard and have grown very fond of it, even though i never expected to like one of the ergonomic types.  Be warned though that it may be hard to switch back and forth between ergonomic and non-ergonomic keyboards if you use one type at work and another at home, etc.

5) in short my summary recommendation: buy a Microsoft or Logitech bundle which includes a wireless mouse and a wired or wireless keyboard depending on your preference.

kyrathaba:
My father bought me a wireless mouse once, and I never did like it.  Finally switched back to my regular one.

Recently, I got a new PC and it came with a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse, and they work quite well.  As far as caveats go, naturally they cost more, but IMHO it's worth it not to have the additional wire-spaghetti.

I really cannot say much about one keyboard being better ergonomically than another.  For me, personally, a standard keyboard is fine and I've never had any problems with fatigue/pain/discomfort.  I'm a lazy typist, though:  often, I find my wrists touching the desk while I type.

I think choosing a particular keyboard/mouse is kind of like choosing a programming language.  Depends on the individual.

mouser:
I think choosing a particular keyboard/mouse is kind of like choosing a programming language.  Depends on the individual.
--- End quote ---

Quite true -- best thing you could do is go to a local store and try some out.

kyrathaba:
Here's some info on computing ergonomics:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=835

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version