topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: List of disc catalogers  (Read 213814 times)

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: List of disc catalogers
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2007, 06:40 PM »
Will we ever find a good solution? (rethinking how to solve this problem)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2007, 08:55 PM »
btw, i have read all the good words about WhereIsIt and had tried out the program. i am very impressed with its capabilities and it looks certain that i'll be using it permanently.. :Thmbsup: however owner is on vacation, it seems until May 28.. guess i have a bit more time assess the program.. :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2007, 02:54 AM »
Will we ever find a good solution? (rethinking how to solve this problem)

2 things/ideas

1) mouser has offered some webspace for html version

2) had the idea when exporting spreadsheet to .csv, instead of using commas, to use the necessary terms
( - {/table} or whatever) so that it will read as table in a post here.
will try that at weekend

tom
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2007, 07:20 AM »
See post Number 2
in this thread for a list of 213 (or is it 214  :) ) created by Crush
and facilitated by Crono's convert from spreadsheet to Forum Table batch file

This is a test run
I actually think it should go in Post #1
Cause Post#1 is now a shown up as a fairly arbitrary collection/short list

I believe there is still the option to post the long list in it's own page instead of here
or simply to post it in it's own thread

Please post your opinions !!
I notice theres a few minor corrections to be made to list - will make those *shortly*  :)
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2007, 07:41 AM »
Looks great, Tom! My only complaint (and I've no idea how to work around it) is that to scroll to the right I have to scroll the whole page to the bottom of the table, scroll right, and then scroll back up to the point that I was reading at to see things like the price, last version, and remarks.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2007, 08:23 AM »
Thats a good bit better.
(I tidied up the urls)

Thinking of moving the comments,
which are maybe of most importance,
to under the web address which will make the post a lot longer but more accessible but that,
& other corrections will have to wait ...
Tom

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2007, 11:27 AM »
The first excel-table I started before this cataloger-list was a speed comparison benchmark of some catalogers - the remarks were technical problems and software-issues (that are at the moment only german and have to be translated first). Some results of this list have been posted here: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=7183.0.
Perhaps we should also release this list if someone´s interested in benchmarking?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2007, 12:22 PM »
I'm taking a holiday I just spent the last 2 hours editing the original spreadsheet & for some reason it doesnt get converted properly anymore ... :mad:

PS Crush I think the benchmarking is maybe the most important thing ...
Tom

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2007, 12:36 PM »
I also thought at the beginning that the users will be interested mostly in speed and stability - but nearly all comments to my request showed me that special features and a nice GUI are requested more often. Flexible databases and browsing functions are more preferred than highspeed searches. Therefore I asked everywhere for user experiences with catalogers on large databases. Now I dither what points are really most important for cataloger-users?!?!?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 12:40 PM by Crush »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2007, 03:51 AM »
tomos, i know you are tired but i have a little suggestion to make.. :) why not incorporate the app name and its website as one column since hyper-linking them would reduce the table's width..

also, one of the programs from that list is up for grabs at Giveaway of the Day..

Advanced File Organizer
Advanced File Organizer is a cataloguer for your digital data collection.

It supports all kinds of media recognized by Windows as drives: CDs, DVDs, Memory Stick cards, ZIP disks, floppies, hard drives, network drives and folders. The key point is an ability to organize the information for most effective using it later, including convenient navigation, quick and powerful search, making reports and export to other formats.

aforg_main.png
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2007, 04:14 AM »
tomos, i know you are tired but i have a little suggestion to make.. :) why not incorporate the app name and its website as one column since hyper-linking them would reduce the table's width..

good idea Lanux

I tidied up the URLs so on my screen I can now see these columns
Cataloger   Homepage   Free-/Shareware

Off-screen to the right are-

Price   Last Version/Change    Remark

I was combining the Remark with the Homepage colums -

I could maybe also combine Price column with Free-/Shareware

then i think all the important stuff will be visible without having to scroll to right.

Theres a difficulty with multi-line cells
and converting them to a Table but hopefully that will be sorted soon..
[I had started trying to edit the Table version but that was a nightmare so went back to spreadsheet ...)
Tom

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2007, 12:05 PM »
Hi Lanux128,

Thx for the link!  :Thmbsup:

AFO is a few times faster and more stable than Whereisit (V2.61 was one of the fastest in my tests and V3 seems to reach at least the same speed - some other programs got slower during further development steps).

Hurry! Get it while you can!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2007, 05:57 PM »
Thanks Lanux & Crush!

I just got it - (Advanced File Organiser) - myself

see also "15 Min Review" here from:
Clipboard Image.png

This application is quick at loading all the information from media to the application, considering the sheer amount of information offloaded from the media to the catalog. This helps a lot for those who are willing to take the leap from another application into this one, and has hundreds (Thousands?) of CDs and DVDs and doesn’t want to spend a month re-indexing their collection. There is a lot of features to help you with your organizing as well. You can change the name of the media (As well as folders and sub-folders) to reflect what may be labeled directly on the media as opposed to the volume label (Which may be a less-than-helpful date code or similar.) You can also add a description to each media unit, as well as folders and files. The same goes for categorizing; You can organize your entire collection by category as well to aid you further in searching later.

Something I haven’t seen often in my previous searches for similar application is the ability for the application to crawl through ZIP and RAR files as if they were just another folder; Very handy indeed. This means that you don’t have to worry about ZIPping up previous versions of a project and the files not being indexed as well.

The author has included a feature to make indexing media other than CDs and DVDs useful. Rather than removing and adding an entire drive (USB, hard drive, network attached storage, rewritable CDs & DVDs, etc.) to have it re-indexed, you simply select the drive under ‘My Catalog’ and click ‘Update Disk’ button. It retains your descriptions and categories for all folders and files when you use ‘Update Disk’, which is definitely nice.

The print options are stellar as well. The number of options are pretty impressive; From full catalog printouts, to simple disc listing, and a lot in-between. This is nice to have because it is not always an option to be able to sit on the computer to go through your disc index, or you have a rough idea already what you are looking for and you just need a quick lookup.

One aspect I did find nice is the ‘Export’ functionality. You can export to HTML, Excel, XML or CSV. I’d likely use HTML and place it up on our Intranet just so others can thumb through the index as well without having to come and antagonize me to find an old file they are looking for.
Tom
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 12:09 PM by tomos »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2007, 07:00 PM »
Tom - you're not BladedThoth, are you?

Anyway, snagged, activated, and installed it earlier today. Haven't even opened it yet (wife's computer back from the shop so must get it back in shape for her. Yesterday was a write off as I was upgrading the harddrive in my notebook).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2007, 01:56 AM »
Tom - you're not BladedThoth, are you?

god no!

just thought it was a good review, esp. if it only took him/her 15 mins  ;)
Tom
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 01:58 AM by tomos »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2007, 02:30 AM »
AFO is a few times faster and more stable than Whereisit (V2.61 was one of the fastest in my tests and V3 seems to reach at least the same speed - some other programs got slower during further development steps).
yes, AFO is quite good and comparable to WhereIsIt.. :up: i have to make up mind soon.. if not, i'll wear out my CDs.. :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2007, 01:12 PM »
I still haven't tried it... I think I may move it over to my wife's computer so that she can start cataloguing her thumb drives and CD's. God! I'm a romantic SOB, aren't I? Well, aren't I? Anyone...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2007, 03:48 AM »
God! I'm a romantic SOB, aren't I?

of COURSE you are  :D :-*
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2007, 10:56 AM »
Thanks Tom! I was up late last night recovering data from her computer (work related, so very important) that had accidentally been deleted. Very romantic way to spend the Sunday evening before a holiday Monday (Victoria Day here in BC)...

Anyway, took the opportunity to put AFO through its paces and was impressed. Well worth a look for anyone trying to choose a cataloguer. My usage was fairly superficial but I was impressed at how quickly it catalogued a 1.5GB on a thumbdrive and how small the resulting catalgue is (333KB - WhereIsIt? has the same thumbdrive catalogued but as part of a catalogue that includes 25GB on a 32GB USB drive - catalogue is a hair over 7MB). It doesn't *seem* as feature rich/tweakable as WhereIsIt? but as noted my usage thus far has been fairly superficial. The interface/features/options/functionality feels very similar to Broken Cross Disk Manager, which I trialled before buying WhereIsIt? and quite liked.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2007, 09:10 PM »
for me AFO and WhereIsIt is running neck and neck, with unavailability of the WhereIsIt (see pic) might just tilt towards AFO.. is there a way in either of cataloguers when an IE favourite is scanned, the url is also extracted?

ws-nowhereisit-1.png

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2007, 11:16 PM »
Do you already have the GiveawayoftheDay version of AFO?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2007, 09:51 PM »
i do have the GiveawayoftheDay version of AFO but i would like to contact the authors regarding some feature requests.. :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2007, 11:49 PM »
That shouldn't be a problem - contact them anyway and let them know that you're using the GOTD version and that you *might* be motivated to purchase a licence if x,y, and z are implemented/fixed. I suspect that the rationale most authors use in offering their apps on GOTD is to get feedback anyway, so I am sure whatever suggestions you have would be welcome. Who knows, you might even get a discount on a full licence (I know that at least one vendor that offered apps on GOTD has done this).

Good luck!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2007, 12:55 AM »
good idea Darwin! :up: i will do just that.. also maybe i can pose the query here & see if it's already in the program.. :)

... a little later ...

i can't find the screenshot that i sent to WhereIsIt? author, maybe tomorrow then.. :)

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2007, 11:47 AM »
Hey! I found the most expensive File/Disc-Cataloger on the world today (not yet included in the list).

It´s Catalyzer http://www.axiope.co...p/importheaders.html
This is a real bargain for only 9000$/8000€ commercial licence (ok for 5 installations).
The cheaper version for non-profit-usage costs only the half of it  :D

I cannot believe that its features are as ultimate, superior & overwhelming that it is worth this much.
The screenshots in the userguides seem to me very very poor of features. I look forward to test this super-cataloger  :P !
You can also use it as a notepad.

Catalyzer seems to be a Java-Prog with web-server. I´ll take a look at it.
How could you call such a pricing? Harakiri-Marketing?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 11:51 AM by Crush »