ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

List of disc catalogers

<< < (8/34) > >>

Darwin:
Perhaps you could generate a searchable pdf or html from the Excel (?) file and have donationcoder host it. This is the only way that I can think of to get the spreadsheet into the forum quickly and easily. Then you could just link to it from your original post, which could be modified and maybe retitlted (and moved?) to reflect that it's a resource for people looking for alternatives rather than a review. You could indicate that updating the list will be a group effort - we just need to figure out who's going to admininstrate it!

lanux128:
i'm in a catch-22 situation, since all these CD catalog programs involve putting in the CD/DVD and ejecting.. basically i'm doing the very thing that i want to avoid, hence the need for these programs for.. :) anyway, i'm trying out CDVista right now and the program responds quite well.. btw, tomos & Crush, how's the list coming up?

here are some criteria that i can think of:
• still in development
• modern UI (elegant interface, no Win 3.1 icons.. ;))
• able to merge catalogs
• can move discs to other catalogs
• DVD-support (naturally)
• look up info at CDDB for Audio CDs
• this is a plus: able to export to XML or other common format

i'll post here if i can think of anymore useful criteria.. :)

Darwin:
i'm in a catch-22 situation, since all these CD catalog programs involve putting in the CD/DVD and ejecting..
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure I follow this? If you mean that you have to insert the CD/DVD, have whatever app you're using index it and then eject the CD/DVD, then we're on the same page (and I'm not sure what the alternative would be!). If you're suggesting that you need to insert the CD/DVD to access the index that you've already created, then you're either suffering under a misunderstanding and/or the software you've tried (CDVista?) is odd! I'm using WhereIsIt? and once it's created an index, that's it. I can open and search ALL of my indeces and locate whatever it is that I am looking for without ever going near a CD/DVD. If only WhereIsIt? would keep track of where I've actually put the physical media...  :redface:

Crush:
As I see till now - the most of these progs don´t support merging of catalogs. You can usually create different catalogs and sometimes it´s possible to search them all together - in most cases only the pre-loaded ones. WhereIsIt! seems to have a maximum size of 1GB/catalog as I read somewhere - and it´s not supporting unicode. A funny cataloger is giving some sidekicks to whereisit calling itself "HereIsIt!"  :D

The list is still growing - 4 new entries added today = 203 catalogers at the moment

The UI is a double-sided sword: Using standard Win-UI and Libs give in big result-lists an extreme heavy slowdown. Some have seen this and coded own output-windows to speed all up - and these windows often have a different look and behaviour as normal ones.

CDs and DVDs have been a main criteria for me to call something a Disc-Cataloger. All should be able to do this.

CDDB-Lookups are not included everywhere and should not be a main criteria. I personally want to search files by their tags and names. Catalogers specialized at Music-Collections are existing that all do CDDB-support but haven´t reached this list.

Good export functions are only rudimentary supported. You get only a small part of the stored informations as exports. So this also was no main point for me.

Darwin:
Hmmm.... merge catalogues. I'm not sure I see the point of this as with WhereIsIt? I can have as many catalogues as I like open at the same time and search across them. However, having said that, I'm far from a power user wrt disc cataloguing...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version