topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: List of disc catalogers  (Read 214185 times)

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: List of disc catalogers
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2008, 05:09 AM »
mwb1100, yes I know that but google still ranks the old site as no 1 so that's where I ended up. After writing about this here I hope I'll never make that mistake again. We'll see how that goes in six months or so ;D

noblejoker: I think most of the programs in this giant list are focused on cataloging discs (CDs, DVDs) and folders by scanning their filesystems. It sounds like you need another type of database. Just a thought: I haven't tried the range of programs by Collectorz.com http://www.collectorz.com/music/ (commercial), but according to their site they support importing items through bar code scanning. Maybe that works for LP:s too?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2008, 09:00 AM »
I have Music Collector and, AFAICT, it does not support adding LP's via barcode. I have a box full of LPs and HAVEN'T had a chance to try entering one or more of those via barcode, but I will try to do this this afternoon and post back here with the result.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2008, 09:04 AM »
Update: I WILL try scanning barcodes for vinyl, but reading throught the user's manual it seems that LP's can only be entered manually. More on this this afternoon...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2008, 07:41 PM »
OK - finally got to my vinyl collection - couldn't find a single one with a barcode, so it appears to me to be moot point. FWIW, the last LP I bought new was a Rush album published in 1987. It doesn't have a barcode printed on it, either. I wonder if the barcodes were printed on the labels attached to the shrink wrap? I no longer remember.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2008, 07:47 PM »
Rush do not need barcodes to be identified, they're unique ;)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2008, 01:35 PM »
Mr. Darwin,

I see that you use Music Collector - is this one of the Collectorz programs, BTW?

Also, I know that you also have WhereIsIt?  Have you tried using that for music, DVDs, etc.?  Or is it better/more convenient to use a specialized "collector" application for those?  Plus, if you use programs like Music Collector for your media, what do you use WhereIsIt? for?  (Just curious - not trying to give you the "third degree"!!  Trying to research before I select a program for my DVD collection.  CD collection is next!!)

Oh - while I am asking, I read a lot of complaints about Collectorz.com in the Complaints forum.  Have you had issues with upgrades or anything?

Thanks!

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2008, 02:32 PM »
Hi Jim,

The big complaint about Collectorz centred around their decision to switch from a lifetime licencing model to a paid upgrade model on or around November 14, 2006. The controversy arose because this decision was taken and implemented without any warning to existing or new users and wasn't accompanied by any significant changes to their websites, so that there remained many references to lifetime licencing. This led to many people to continue to buy licences for various of their products on the assumption that they were purchasing lifetime upgrades when in fact they were only buying point release updates. Anyway, they quietly "settled" with a number of malcontents, myself included, and also quietly removed the references to lifetime licencing from their website. That storm in a teapot seems to have blown over. My main beef is that a number of their applications have had no updates/upgrades whatsoever in over a year. However, when updates/upgrades are released they are very prompt in issuing a new serial number to unlock it, so no complaints on that front. Also note that the applications work very well, whether updated recently or not. There is only one outstanding issue with one application that I feel is long overdue for a fix (folder view in Photo Collector), but it's not a deal breaker...

I purchased Where Is It to catalogue my data CD's, DVD's, and external harddrives and it is excellent for this purpose. Because I already owned four of the dedicated Collectorz cataloguers (Book, mp3, Music, and Photo) I haven't felt the need to try Where Is It for these types of files.

Don't worry about giving me the third degree - I'm working on my third degree! Punny, but I simply could not resist  :D

Hope this rambling missive helps...

downe

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2008, 01:50 PM »
Does anybody know which disc catalog reads inside iso, nrg, bin archives. I use whereisit, and it doesn't support reading inside iso archives.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2008, 09:57 AM »
Holy wowze, there has been a lot of discussion around about CD cataloggable-izerators.  So, there are a kajillion different ones, including some free ones, but if you have had your eye on CD Catalog Expert, today might be your day to snag it at Bits du Jour, http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/280/.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2008, 08:02 AM »
CD Bank Cataloguer
http://www.qunomsoft.com/
there is development in alpha stage that can be downloaded

corrected website address
anyone using this one?
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2008, 07:42 PM »
CD Bank Cataloguer
http://www.qunomsoft.com/
there is development in alpha stage that can be downloaded

corrected website address
anyone using this one?

i won this program in a DC giveaway but for a long time it seemed that the software had become abandonware so i had to switch to another cataloguer. more details here: CD Bank Cataloguer abandoned?

AMJFisher

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2008, 03:58 AM »
What I'd like to know is how many of these programs just catalogue the file and folder details ONLY and NOT the contents themselves? My own program, TypeStats, catalogues media and shows statistics of the files and folders, but no-one apparently has been interested, so I took it down.  :(

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts to get people to look at the program, they were far more interested in the shortcomings of the website I had for it.  >:(

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2008, 11:01 AM »
welcome aboard, AMJFisher! :) do tell us more about your program - maybe some screenshots, a brief description, license type, etc. as you can see from here, we've not settled on a single cataloguer as the best.

furthermore if you don't mind giving a download link, i'm sure that a lot of us here would like to give your app a try.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2008, 11:16 AM »
TypeStats 3.11 by Aaron MJ Fisher. Screenshots HERE. Website seems to be gone (http://www.foebanesoftware.com/)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2008, 12:37 PM »
hah! PhilB66, the quickest draw in the .. er .. net :)

It sounds very good AMJFisher - I dont know many most of the programmes on the lists but maybe Crush will respond at some stage - he made the long list on post #two of this thread (unfortunately he missed out on yours..)
Tom

AMJFisher

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2008, 01:39 PM »
Well, the program I think is available from http://www.winsite.com - just type in the name "typestats" and select the more recent version, which is more-or-less the final version. I may upload the final version itself one day.

But the thing is, TypeStats doesn't have the bells and whistles of the other cataloguers, like thumbnail processing and all that, mainly because it is first and foremost more like a different version of Windows Explorer, and shows a lot more info and statistics about the files and folders on your drives. That it can also catalogue stuff is a bit of a bonus.

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2008, 12:52 PM »
Hi, I also found some new entries. I´ll post them after I collected enough to make an update. Some programs are really hard to get. Currently I´m searching Fuzzionmanager1310 - it doesn´t seem to be available anywhere. I have Typestats now but it´s impossible to install on a vista computer or the installer isnt clean.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 12:55 PM by Crush »

Lolipop Jones

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2008, 09:44 PM »
Crush:

Just wondering if in your exploration of disc cataloguers you had found any that have the one feature I really want.

Let's say I have cataloged 20 DVD's with 50 files on each.  What I would like to be able to do is open up a single window that shows all 1000 files in a scrollable list, with one of the columns in that list being the ID number I assigned to the DVD containing that particular file.

Every cataloger I have tried so far is "disk centric" rather than "total database centric" - i.e. it will only let me browse one cataloged disk at a time.

Thanks.....
Today's problems were yesterday's solutions....

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2008, 06:19 AM »
Hmmm, you´ve really tried several catalogers? A lot of them support your feature. Try Lazycat (it´s in the list).

Lolipop Jones

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2008, 10:17 AM »
I have four of them installed in a virtual machine which is open on my screen right now.

WhereIsIt
Disk Explorer Professional
Disclib
Virtual Cat

I don't see a way to get any of them to open a window that browses the whole database.  I can run a report query that lists all files in the database which meet selected criteria, but that's not exactly the same thing as browsing all records across all archived volumes.

I'd really like to be able to do this with WhereIsIt because I like the program in many ways, but from an inspection of the author's website, it appears that the only question he really wants to answer is "how do I pay for the program?".  No contact e-mail other than for bug reports and payment issues, no user forum and a very abbreviated FAQ.

I tried all the links for LazyCat in your list, only one linked to a download (Lazy1_1a.zip) which shows up on my system as a corrupted file on each of three separate different DL attempts.

thanks....

Today's problems were yesterday's solutions....

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2008, 08:31 PM »
I tried all the links for LazyCat in your list, only one linked to a download (Lazy1_1a.zip) which shows up on my system as a corrupted file on each of three separate different DL attempts.
-Lolipop Jones (April 29, 2008, 10:17 AM)

Crush, maybe you or someone who has the LazyCat zip file host it here at DC before it disappears fron the Net. i'm curious enough to try it as well. :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2008, 09:22 AM »
-Lolipop Jones (April 29, 2008, 10:17 AM)

Crush, maybe you or someone who has the LazyCat zip file host it here at DC before it disappears fron the Net. i'm curious enough to try it as well. :)

I like this idea as well  :Thmbsup: Wonder about the legal aspect, though... or is it effectively abandonware?

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2008, 07:19 PM »
Even the last normal site update was deleted from Archive.org and the last change date of the beta version was 15.9.2001. This is a timespan of  over 6 years. This is shareware, so why we shouldn´t host it as the last resort before a really great program dies? Don´t use V1.1a - it´s too buggy. The only thing I found is a mirror of the last site: http://members.home.nl/drpsycho/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 07:25 PM by Crush »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2008, 11:25 PM »
Even the last normal site update was deleted from Archive.org and the last change date of the beta version was 15.9.2001. This is a timespan of  over 6 years. This is shareware, so why we shouldn´t host it as the last resort before a really great program dies? Don´t use V1.1a - it´s too buggy. The only thing I found is a mirror of the last site: http://members.home.nl/drpsycho/

yes, it's last update was sometime ago. anyway, thanks Crush for the mirror site. now, we don't have to worry about any legal aspects or such. :)

ws-lazycat-last-update-1.png

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2008, 07:55 AM »
WinCatalog is featured on BitsDuJour today.