ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Idea: Directory/File Monitor Change Notification

(1/2) > >>

bscoles:
Program to monitor a directory or set of directories and simply notify if a file has changed or files have been added. A button or option to indicate that the change has been noted and to start a fresh monitor.

Crush:
What would you do if a change has been notified? Virus-killers can do this on their own ... or is there any other use for this? How many files/directories must be scanned?

jgpaiva:
Here's a thread here in the forum that probably would solve your problem: Log Monitor - Great Free Tool for Monitoring Files+Dirs and Acting on Changes

bscoles:
Crush-
I would be using it to notify others of updated files so that I don't have to go around telling everyone 'check your directory for new files' or relying on them to check for updates. Has nothing to do with viruses or such. I suspect that once past the initial code of the directory structure. That it could easily scale to several directories. If it monitors a directory and it's subdirectories then all I would need is 1. If it didn't do subdirectories then I would need to monitor 6 individual directories.

Back in the 'Old' days when I ran a BBS that received files from a satellite system, I had written a program that did this in order to initiate other actions... zip/unzip, create a message to notify users of file availability & automatically re-distribute files to other BBS's. I was one of the area hubs for fidonet mail & file distribution.  But that was a Dos based environment, I haven't done any windows programming.

jgpaiva-
Thanks, I'll check it out.

f0dder:
Just remember that update notifications can be flaky with UNC paths (ie., files on a share on a server). Tend to work great otherwise, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version