topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: If you plans to install Visual Studio ...  (Read 16737 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you plans to install Visual Studio ...
« on: March 13, 2007, 08:18 AM »
Bryan Miller made these fabulous tutorials on C# writing, and of course started out with the link to the program behind it all, Visual C# Express.

I read the System Requirements and was surprised big time (in fact you should read this page very carefully if you are planning to install Visual Studio, there are many issues and surprises):

Before installing, you must uninstall any previous Beta, CTP or Tech Preview versions of SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio 2005, and the .NET Framework 2.0.

-Microsoft

Remove .NET 2.0 ?? Is this really necessary? I mean: .NET Framework has been and will be updated for localized languages (here: Danish), but Visual Studio will never be updated for any other languages than the top 5 largest languages. Well, Microsoft says it is necessary to remove .NET 2.0 and they say it several times, so I guess it is so, but I just thought you might want to know if you plans to install Visual Studio and learn this C#.

visual.jpgIf you plans to install Visual Studio ...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 08:20 AM by Curt »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: If you plans to install Visual Studio ...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 08:22 AM »
I think it might be saying that you need to uninstall any BETA OR TECH PREVIEW releases of .net framework.
I agree that the language is DAMN confusing.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 08:31 AM »
I agree that the language is DAMN confusing.

1.2. Upgrade from previous releases of Visual Studio 2005:

For best results, install on a computer that has not had pre-release versions of SQL 2005, Visual Studio 2005, or the .NET Framework 2.0 installed on it.

If your computer has any of the pre-release versions on it, they must be removed in the correct order BEFORE you begin installing the release version. This process is not officially supported. More information on the uninstall process.

Go to the Control Panel and launch Add/Remove Programs
Remove all SQL Server 2005 products
Either run the uninstall tool, or follow the manual uninstall instructions below
Install the Express Edition product or products you wish to use
Most pre-release projects can be carried forward to the release version. Details on any changes needed for forward compatibility.  If you have problems, take a look at this link or report your specific issue on the Visual Studio Express Forum.

1.2.1. Uninstall Tool
Warning: This Auto-Uninstall Tool uninstalls ALL pre-release Visual Studio 2005 products, including Visual Studio Express Editions, Visual Studio Team System, Visual Studio Professional, and Visual Studio Standard.

Run autouninstall tool now

1.2.2 Manual Uninstall Instructions
If you decide to uninstall manually, without using the tool, be sure you uninstall ALL Visual Studio 2005 product editions BEFORE you uninstall the .NET Framework 2.0.

Maybe they are installing another version of .NET Framework ? But they don't tell!   :down:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 08:37 AM »
right, it's going to install some version of .net so it wants you to uninstall any beta before it does.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 08:59 AM »
Unless you've got .net beta on your system, installing this shouldn't be a problem though?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 09:58 AM »
Unless you've got .net beta on your system, installing this shouldn't be a problem though?

To the best of my understanding of this not-understandable text from Microsoft, the important part is not if you have .NET 2.0, but if you ever have had an earlier version of Visual Studio, because then your version of .NET 2.0 would have been altered. So if you have the standard .NET 2.0 and never have had Visual Studio before, there should be no problem - I guess...

jacquesrober

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 10:10 AM »
I have tried to install Visual studio without removing .net framework, and it just freezes the installation and is difficult to remove. I used Procexp  from Sysinternals to remove  the install screen and then still had to reboot.
Are you saying that visual studio will install a version of .net framework? I need .net to run some apps.
Regards,
jr
JR

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 10:28 AM »
Hm, sounds weird - I haven't had any problems from not removing it.
- carpe noctem

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 11:27 AM »
I have tried to install Visual studio without removing .net framework, and it just freezes the installation and is difficult to remove. I used Procexp  from Sysinternals to remove  the install screen and then still had to reboot.
Are you saying that visual studio will install a version of .net framework? I need .net to run some apps.
Regards,
jr
-jacquesrober (March 13, 2007, 10:10 AM)

.Products
Get the latest downloads for Windows Vista, .NET Framework 3.0, and Windows SDK.

Product Notes:
Windows Vista

The final version of Windows Vista is now available to MSDN Subscribers (Operating System level or higher) soon. Visit MSDN Subscriptions to download Windows Vista as soon as it's available. (Read information on purchasing an MSDN Subscription.)

Visual Studio 2005:
Download the Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite 180-Day Trial. For other versions, including the express download, visit the Visual Studio 2005 Express home page.

NET Framework 3.0
With the exception of Windows Vista (which by default includes the .NET Framework 3.0), all operating systems require you to install the .NET Framework 3.0 in order to run and develop managed applications. Some sample tools included in the Windows SDK also require you to install the .NET Framework 3.0.
-Microsoft

So i'll guess you have to update to .NET 3.0 - only I thought 3.0 was Vista only..??
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 11:30 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 01:01 PM »
I am now certain that all the fuzz only was about the need for .NET 3.0

Its most strange that Microsoft can't figure out to just tell it - if you wanna drive Visual Studio you'll need to upgrade .NET Framework to version 3.0 - thats not hard to tell, is it? Maybe its because Visual Studio (and the quoted article) is older than .NET 3.0, so it would alter version 2.0 and make it unsuitable for upgrading to 3.0 - that must be it.

f0dder; will you check if your .NET is version 3.0 please ?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 01:05 PM by Curt »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 01:25 PM »
Visual Studio 2005 will install whatever version of the .NET Framework (2.0) it needs if it is not already installed.  The requirement to remove the Framework (and/or other items) is only if you have beta (or other pre-release) versions of those components installed.

To confuse the issue even more, .NET Framework 3.0 is really more or less an add-on to .NET 2.0.  It essentially adds Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), and a couple other less important technologies to the 2.0 Framework.  VS 2005 does not need .NET 3.0 to install or run, but if you want to create programs that use those technologies, then you'll need .NET 3.0.

One additional thing to be aware of is that Visual Studio 2005 SP1 has been released - if you install it be ready for it to take a long time (like at least 30 minutes - maybe more) and use an enormous amount of disk space (1GB or more).  Google for the gory details.

Also, if you're going to run VS 2005 on Vista, I think that there are some issues that might require hotfixes, especially if you're doing ASP.NET work.  I'm not too sure about this though, as I am not running Vista.  Again, Google is your friend for details on this.

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • RuffNekk's Crypto Pages
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 01:54 PM »
I usually tend to ignore instructions, from Microsoft, the government or any other authority, but that aside, and I haven't had any problems installing VS 2005 on my machine with .NET 2.0 already installed. It's really the Beta version of the framework that can lead to problems. Before I installed VS 2005, I already had 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 Beta installed and I havent removed any of those prior to installing. I never have any troubles...
Regards,
RuffNekk

Programming is an art form that fights back.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 02:05 PM »
Thanks to mwb1100 and Ruffnekk for straighten things out.  :Thmbsup:

Would though be nice to hear from jacquesrober what action he has taken to his problems with this installation, and to understand why it went wrong in the first place.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 05:54 PM »
For VC2005 SP1, be sure to do a lot of googling and reading - there's ways to speed up it's installing tremendously. Even on my machine, it took about an hour or so, and that's an AMD64x2 4400+, 2gigs of ram, and a 10,000rpm raptor disk. Don't attempt that install on a laptop.

You can merge ("slipstream") the SP1 into your VS2005 install files, and it's easier done than it sounds - that way you get the latest version installed from the beginning, and much faster than applying the upgrade. It does expand the install enough that you can't fit the final and MSDN on one DVD, though - shame on Microsoft. MSI installers suck.
- carpe noctem

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 03:28 AM »
I am now certain that all the fuzz only was about the need for .NET 3.0

Its most strange that Microsoft can't figure out to just tell it - if you wanna drive Visual Studio you'll need to upgrade .NET Framework to version 3.0 - thats not hard to tell, is it? Maybe its because Visual Studio (and the quoted article) is older than .NET 3.0, so it would alter version 2.0 and make it unsuitable for upgrading to 3.0 - that must be it.

f0dder; will you check if your .NET is version 3.0 please ?

VS2005 is centered around .NET 2 - though their SP1 showed up around the same time as .NET 3 so I guess the two could be related. I've applied the service pack and haven't upped to .NET 3 and it's running just fine.

Reg the OP: You could try uninstalling your native language .Net 2, installing VS and reinstalling your native language .Net 2 _after_ it is upgraded. It seems highly unlikely that a newer version of .Net would bung up VS. But it's MS, so anything's possible! :)

jacquesrober

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 10:09 AM »
Hello Curt,
I was waiting for some responses(suggestions) before trying anything.
I think I will uninstall .net framework and reinstall it from the microsoft site and not from my download folder, that way I should insure that I get the correct version. I will keep you posted as to the results.
jr
JR

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 10:23 AM »
I think I will uninstall .net framework and reinstall it from the microsoft site
-jacquesrober (March 14, 2007, 10:09 AM)

You could update to version 3.0 at the same go:
http://msdn2.microso...svista/aa904955.aspx

- I just did that yesterday; the link is not for Vista only

2007-03-14_162504.jpg
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 10:30 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 10:32 AM »
I will uninstall .net framework and reinstall it from the microsoft site and not from my download folder, that way I should insure that I get the correct version.
-jacquesrober (March 14, 2007, 10:09 AM)

I noticed that you'll have to choose the right language version yourself.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 07:03 AM »
VS2005 is centered around .NET 2 - though their SP1 showed up around the same time as .NET 3 so I guess the two could be related. I've applied the service pack and haven't upped to .NET 3 and it's running just fine.

Same here. 

BTW, the majority of us probably won't need the extra features found in .NET 3.0; as one poster said, 3.0 isn't an overhaul of the framework the way  2.0  was for 1.0.  It's  just a little icing on the cake.

SP1 for the  IDE does take awhile to install, but it makes a lot of changes to the IDE (fixes a lot of annoying problems reported by users of VC#05 as they tested the beta).

I totally agree that Microsoft needs to spend more of their money on better-quality documentation.  I think there is a largely unspoken prevailing attitude in Redmond that most people who are going to be interested in installing a programming IDE are fairly saavy computer users and can figure things out for themselves.  A bit lazy, true, but this complacency doesn't extend to all their products.  They also know that many people never bother to read the documention anyway.  Some MS products have fairly decent documentation, though. 

And, finally, Microsoft has the enviable position of being a software superpower.  They know that they could offer "PC Wrecking Ball v1.0", an application to royally screw up a PC, and there would still be a lot of people spend $99.95 for it, just because it says "Microsoft" on it.  Name-brand recognition. 

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 09:15 AM »
SP1 for the  IDE does take awhile to install, but it makes a lot of changes to the IDE (fixes a lot of annoying problems reported by users of VC#05 as they tested the beta).
-kyrathaba
And again, some googling will show you how to tremendously speed this up.

- carpe noctem

jacquesrober

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 10:15 AM »
I uninstalled all I had on .net framework, then installed version 3 of .net.
Then I tried to reinstall visual studio again and it did not work.
Now I am reading the database of microsoft on install problems for visual studio express and so far I still am nowhere. There is something about "BIT" and that does not look promising as my computer seems to react correctly on suggested tests.
If anybody can help, I would really appreciate.
I was so looking forward to learn some programming in C#.
Regards
jr
JR

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 11:00 AM »
Perhaps the most straightforward thing you could do is uninstall any and all .NET distros on your machine, then run the install for Visual C# 2005 Express.  It will install .NET 2.0 as part of the install, and the IDE should work correctly for you.

jacquesrober

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 02:32 PM »
Also did that (uninstall everything related to visual studio and .net framework) which is why I am looking at my machine's config.
Regards
jr
JR