ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

If you plans to install Visual Studio ...

<< < (3/5) > >>

mwb1100:
Visual Studio 2005 will install whatever version of the .NET Framework (2.0) it needs if it is not already installed.  The requirement to remove the Framework (and/or other items) is only if you have beta (or other pre-release) versions of those components installed.

To confuse the issue even more, .NET Framework 3.0 is really more or less an add-on to .NET 2.0.  It essentially adds Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), and a couple other less important technologies to the 2.0 Framework.  VS 2005 does not need .NET 3.0 to install or run, but if you want to create programs that use those technologies, then you'll need .NET 3.0.

One additional thing to be aware of is that Visual Studio 2005 SP1 has been released - if you install it be ready for it to take a long time (like at least 30 minutes - maybe more) and use an enormous amount of disk space (1GB or more).  Google for the gory details.

Also, if you're going to run VS 2005 on Vista, I think that there are some issues that might require hotfixes, especially if you're doing ASP.NET work.  I'm not too sure about this though, as I am not running Vista.  Again, Google is your friend for details on this.

Ruffnekk:
I usually tend to ignore instructions, from Microsoft, the government or any other authority, but that aside, and I haven't had any problems installing VS 2005 on my machine with .NET 2.0 already installed. It's really the Beta version of the framework that can lead to problems. Before I installed VS 2005, I already had 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 Beta installed and I havent removed any of those prior to installing. I never have any troubles...

Curt:
Thanks to mwb1100 and Ruffnekk for straighten things out.  :Thmbsup:

Would though be nice to hear from jacquesrober what action he has taken to his problems with this installation, and to understand why it went wrong in the first place.

f0dder:
For VC2005 SP1, be sure to do a lot of googling and reading - there's ways to speed up it's installing tremendously. Even on my machine, it took about an hour or so, and that's an AMD64x2 4400+, 2gigs of ram, and a 10,000rpm raptor disk. Don't attempt that install on a laptop.

You can merge ("slipstream") the SP1 into your VS2005 install files, and it's easier done than it sounds - that way you get the latest version installed from the beginning, and much faster than applying the upgrade. It does expand the install enough that you can't fit the final and MSDN on one DVD, though - shame on Microsoft. MSI installers suck.

nosh:
I am now certain that all the fuzz only was about the need for .NET 3.0

Its most strange that Microsoft can't figure out to just tell it - if you wanna drive Visual Studio you'll need to upgrade .NET Framework to version 3.0 - thats not hard to tell, is it? Maybe its because Visual Studio (and the quoted article) is older than .NET 3.0, so it would alter version 2.0 and make it unsuitable for upgrading to 3.0 - that must be it.

f0dder; will you check if your .NET is version 3.0 please ?
-Curt (March 13, 2007, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

VS2005 is centered around .NET 2 - though their SP1 showed up around the same time as .NET 3 so I guess the two could be related. I've applied the service pack and haven't upped to .NET 3 and it's running just fine.

Reg the OP: You could try uninstalling your native language .Net 2, installing VS and reinstalling your native language .Net 2 _after_ it is upgraded. It seems highly unlikely that a newer version of .Net would bung up VS. But it's MS, so anything's possible! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version