ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

If you plans to install Visual Studio ...

(1/5) > >>

Curt:
Bryan Miller made these fabulous tutorials on C# writing, and of course started out with the link to the program behind it all, Visual C# Express.

I read the System Requirements and was surprised big time (in fact you should read this page very carefully if you are planning to install Visual Studio, there are many issues and surprises):

Before installing, you must uninstall any previous Beta, CTP or Tech Preview versions of SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio 2005, and the .NET Framework 2.0.

-Microsoft
--- End quote ---

Remove .NET 2.0 ?? Is this really necessary? I mean: .NET Framework has been and will be updated for localized languages (here: Danish), but Visual Studio will never be updated for any other languages than the top 5 largest languages. Well, Microsoft says it is necessary to remove .NET 2.0 and they say it several times, so I guess it is so, but I just thought you might want to know if you plans to install Visual Studio and learn this C#.

If you plans to install Visual Studio ...

mouser:
I think it might be saying that you need to uninstall any BETA OR TECH PREVIEW releases of .net framework.
I agree that the language is DAMN confusing.

Curt:
I agree that the language is DAMN confusing. -mouser (March 13, 2007, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

1.2. Upgrade from previous releases of Visual Studio 2005:

For best results, install on a computer that has not had pre-release versions of SQL 2005, Visual Studio 2005, or the .NET Framework 2.0 installed on it.

If your computer has any of the pre-release versions on it, they must be removed in the correct order BEFORE you begin installing the release version. This process is not officially supported. More information on the uninstall process.

Go to the Control Panel and launch Add/Remove Programs
Remove all SQL Server 2005 products
Either run the uninstall tool, or follow the manual uninstall instructions below
Install the Express Edition product or products you wish to use
Most pre-release projects can be carried forward to the release version. Details on any changes needed for forward compatibility.  If you have problems, take a look at this link or report your specific issue on the Visual Studio Express Forum.

1.2.1. Uninstall Tool
Warning: This Auto-Uninstall Tool uninstalls ALL pre-release Visual Studio 2005 products, including Visual Studio Express Editions, Visual Studio Team System, Visual Studio Professional, and Visual Studio Standard.

Run autouninstall tool now

1.2.2 Manual Uninstall Instructions
If you decide to uninstall manually, without using the tool, be sure you uninstall ALL Visual Studio 2005 product editions BEFORE you uninstall the .NET Framework 2.0.

--- End quote ---

Maybe they are installing another version of .NET Framework ? But they don't tell!   :down:

mouser:
right, it's going to install some version of .net so it wants you to uninstall any beta before it does.

TucknDar:
Unless you've got .net beta on your system, installing this shouldn't be a problem though?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version