topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Seems like a memory leak.  (Read 11364 times)

joewski

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Seems like a memory leak.
« on: August 26, 2005, 04:18 AM »
Hi I was using a program called Stumble upon which recommend your software.
Anyway I just installed it and after about five minutes a string of dialog boxes starts to appear claiming the application is unable to access a memory address. :(

Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Seems like a memory leak.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 04:26 AM »
oy..
it must be the latest routine i added yesterday to have the tiny tray tool launch the gui program to show the about box and on startup, has a bug because the program has been rock solid for months.

let me guess, it happened right on start up or else when showing about box?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 04:29 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 04:35 AM »
hmm.. im rereading your post now that its happening after about 5 minutes so that sounds like its not what i thought..
anyone else experiencing this?  it has to be something with the latest build..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 04:48 AM »
if anyone else can confirm they are experiencing this please let me know and i'll re-upload the last stable version asap.

bob666

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 04:20 AM »
if anyone else can confirm they are experiencing this please let me know and i'll re-upload the last stable version asap.

yes... i just dl'ed it and i have this exact problem (wXP sp2 all updates)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 04:22 AM »
do either of you have any clue what might be causing this?
any hint about what triggers it?

bob - it ran for a while and then showed this? did you do anything right before it happened?

it's really strange because i and *many* people run this tool 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, for months and never seen this.

is it possible that it's trying to tame some specific process that triggers the problem?
can you reproduce the crash reliably?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 04:24 AM by mouser »

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 04:25 AM »
I run it 24/7 on two laptops - both XP SP2 - without any problems...

bob666

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 04:32 AM »
do either of you have any clue what might be causing this?
any hint about what triggers it?

bob - it ran for a while and then showed this? did you do anything right before it happened?

it's really strange because i and *many* people run this tool 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, for months and never seen this.

is it possible that it's trying to tame some specific process that triggers the problem?
can you reproduce the crash reliably?

well, maybe i was premature with the post mouser. it only happened when i installed it, an d not since. it has been running about half and hour during this testing phase. when it did it, i received 3-4 boxes with the above mentioned error. it otherwise works flawlessly and as avertised. i will have to see if this is something that happens upon installation or upon initial execution. thankyou for responding so soon, i wan't counting on it, haha.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 04:34 AM »
well happening once is much too much.
did it happen right when it started? or was it after a delay of several minutes?

bob666

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 04:43 AM »
there was quite a delay actually. about 2 minutes, that's why it surprised me. not being a programmer, i thought it was maybe something wrong on my part. i have balloon tips disabled on my system because i don't like them, so after i saw all these error boxes appear, i pressumed that it was the program trying to do what it is supposed to do (show a balloon). i just disabled the show balloons option. now as to whether this is why the error boxes have not returned or some other reason, i don't know. i will keep this page logged on so i can communicate with you if you want.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 04:51 AM »
interesting idea, though it shouldn't be the case that trying to show a balloon when they are disabled in windows should cause an error like that, such a thing might explain why so few people experience this (since most dont have balloons turned off).

if joewski sees this, maybe he could tell us if he also has balloon's turned off in his windows installation.

do you think there might have been an application using a lot of your cpu at the time of the error, which process tamer was trying to tame at the time?

if you would be willing to do some tests, with balloon messages turned on and off in process tamer while using an app that uses too much of the cpu (try the included cpueater test utility), i'd really appreciate any clues you might find to reproducing the error.

bob666

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 05:25 AM »
okay, i'll do the testing for you this weekend. i really don't know if the ballons have anything to do with it, but it will be easy enough to see by this sunday. i manufacture pc's and it's pretty hard for my own personal pc to ever act up, but i noticed that while using firefox with several open tabs, cpu usage goes up on pages that automatically reload if i have about 20-30 tabs open. and when i use limewire pro, cpu usage goes up depending on the amount of open connections on a T-1. exiting firefox or limewire never helped, so i decided to test your software. now when i installed it, i had just rebooted my machine for the first time in about 2 weeks and had ran nothing (with the exception of the apps that start with my pc, so i'll list them, who knows, it may help:

Zone Alarm Pro (big cpu hog depending on the circumstances, but i can't afford Outpost)
System Suite 5 (has a Trend Micro anti-virus)
Cacheman XP
Protowall
Peer Guardian
Spybot Search and Destroy (the Tea Timer app)
Yahoo Messenger
AIM messenger

an always on T-1 connection

your app

that amounts to a tray full of icons. i have 2 gigs of memory, and with them all running including firefox with 23 tabs open, i have 1.68 gigs memory free. i use an asus board with an amd 64 x2.

hope that might give you some info to go on. i really don't think anything needed to be tamed at the time. no instant messaging was going on, and at the time, the browser was fine. now the big thing that does start to move the cpu bar up is the vsmon.exe module of Zone Alarm. yes i use a suite version of that app. vsmon cpu use goes up exponentially while limewire pro is on or firefox is many  tabbed and rowdy. vsmon will also claim a large memory footprint that can be very high. closing these apps doesn't help. Cacheman XP can be used to reclaim memory, but the memory it get's back is almost always from XP, not the offending apps. the CPU footprint is another matter and that is why i was happy to learn of process tamer.

all stuff was not going on at the time, but they typically do on this box. i'll try to narrow it for you by sunday.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
memory leak -- Check out Veign's new Usage Monitor
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 09:29 AM »
Check out Veign's new Usage Monitor (donationware). If you note the GDI numbers, they will point you to any memory leaks. I use it for just that purpose to report back to developers. With some, it seems to happen every other version for some odd reason.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 09:52 AM by zridling »