ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Tools for Password Protecting Files?

<< < (2/3) > >>

cameelios:
thnx guys but im lookin 4 a program that will password protect folders like My Documents and these kinda folders!
thnx 4 the help

nosh:
There are programs that will let you make your folders completely invisible but somebody could hack their way in if the program is disabled at startup.

For actual encryption (which takes more time, but nobody can access the data without actually knowing the password) take a look at cryptext (author: Nick Payne, now discontinued... you'll have to Google it) for a very fast barebones encryption program or Axcrypt (one of the most comprehensive, yet easy to use encryption utilities & under active developement)

Both these can encrypt folders recursively and both of them are free. If you have a lot of data to encrypt/decrypt everytime cryptext should be the obvious choice. If you're looking for a well-rounded, comprehensive encryption program Axcrypt wins hands down. I use both. :)

f0dder:
If you need generic, secure, transparent and fast file&folder protection, imho www.truecrypt.org is the way to go. AxCrypt seems like it takes the traditional route of decrypt->modify->reencrypt, which is pretty useless as it leaves plaintext residue on your disk.

MerleOne:
I have been told that folderlock is close to what you are looking for : http://www.newsoftwares.net/folderlock/.  I didn't try it myself.

Also, I would never completely lock "My Documents" since many programs tend to write files in this folder of subfolders.  You should only lock selected folders and non "system" folders.

For encrypting just a few files, with a good security level and without installing an application, I would recommend dsCrypt :
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/freeware/

f0dder:
Hrm, dsCrypt uses BuzzWords® and makes pretty impossible claims ("immunity to keylogger-infested environments"). And things like "exceptional resistance to brute-force password search"? If somebody really wants to get at your data, they won't be hammering a GUI, they'll be working directly.

I wouldn't touch this :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version