topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Zaine's HD crashed, he'll be back after the weekend  (Read 4062 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Zaine's HD crashed, he'll be back after the weekend
« on: August 25, 2005, 09:31 PM »
got an email that zaine had a complete HD crash (thankfully he had a bit of warning before it died completely), and he'll be back after the weekend.  good luck zaine!

[consider this yet another warning to back up your systems regularly]

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Zaine's HD crashed, he'll be back after the weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 01:59 AM »
Thanks for the post, mouser. It's Sunday morning and I'm back. Fortunately I had a good working image of my C-drive before it crashed and burned. But upon installing a new HD that was a similar make and model, something was different and it doesn't like it. I'll FDisk and Reformat next month, since my system needs a rebuild anyway. Funny thing is how hardware failures like a bad power supply and in this case, a flaky HD, resemble the behavior of a worm or virus. You don't realize it's the hardware until it completely fails.

But for now I'm back and will get the first draft of the Archiver review to members by mid-week if not sooner.

PS: That's my third HD failure in 21 years! of computing. This was the first where weeping and gnashing of teeth weren't involved. But like mouser reminds, find yourself a favorite backup utility — I merely sync everything these days — and use it often.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Zaine's HD crashed, he'll be back after the weekend
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 02:33 AM »
its common to have to perform an operation on the hard disk to make windows "happy" with the new hard disk mbr.  it sounds like that is not your problem since when that happens winxp will just refuse to boot.  but thought i should mention it just in case.

third failure in 21 years is quite good.