ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Super Flexible File Synchronizer Pro says Zaine

<< < (5/13) > >>

urlwolf:
Thanks nontroppo, that was very useful. Deltacopy didn't really work for me but rsync itself did. Concretely, I'm using this rsync for windows: cwRsync
My particular case (backup to dreamhost using rsync) is covered here.

nontroppo:
hm, send the devs your bug feedback; it works flawlessly for me...

what i really want however is rdiff-backup natively for windows (incremental backup with restore per delta) - anyone know of a package out there?

and thanks for that dreamhost howto - finally something to do with all that space!!! :)

urlwolf:
hm, send the devs your bug feedback; it works flawlessly for me...

what i really want however is rdiff-backup natively for windows (incremental backup with restore per delta) - anyone know of a package out there?

and thanks for that dreamhost howto - finally something to do with all that space!!! :)
-nontroppo (March 16, 2007, 03:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

The only "native" (you mean not a unix port?) win delta backup apps I have been able to find are SFFS, and suresync (expensive, needs an addin to do delta backups).

Yep, DH is totally worth it if only for the amount of space they give you, and the shell.

I was falling in love with SFFS, but rsync is doing a great job and I don't mind (almost prefer) scripting. It doesn't take much in term of system resources. The advantage of SFFS is that it can cache the 'right tree' (useful when it's a large tree)... but rsync is really fast counting files, and very portable.

What's the difference between rsync and unison then? Why is unison not capable of doing delta backup locally (if this info is correct!)?. If unison is based on rsync, it should.

I guess rsync is just a mirror, whereas unison is able to resolve conflicts and thus better to be used when you update both sides independently.

urlwolf:
Note: something like this:
http://www.rsnapshot.org/

Would be great if working on windows. It would nulify the need for things like backup4all (it takes 275mb of ram when operating!).

urlwolf:
Ok, seems like for windows, there are some mature incremental backup solutions based on ryinc.

http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/chris/win32/releases/boxbackup-chris_general_784-backup-client-mingw32.zip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version