ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Super Flexible File Synchronizer Pro says Zaine

<< < (6/13) > >>

Hirudin:
Also, how about beyond compare for this task (sync'ing)? It is definitely cheaper, and it works well.
-urlwolf (March 10, 2007, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the reminder! I'll be using this, Beyond Compare is such a cool program already, less than the other backup programs, and I absolutely 100% trust it's opinion of what is "different".

tomos:
I'm very interested in this incremental backup where only the modified part of the file is backed up.

My Surfulater files are over 100MB,
but more importantly I'm going back to finish a job where many files are over 100MB as well, and I would want a lot of versions backed-up

when people start talking about scripts I'm lost,
so I'm wondering would people think I'd be able to handle any of the above mentioned programmes,

* Deltacopy
* or the "It works!" Chris subversion one (from urlwolf, post #24)
Oh yeah, it would be for backing up to a different partition or an external drive (with Windows XP)

nevf:
Late to the party but let me throw in a few bits of info.

I've been using SFFS for years and it is a very nice application and works very well. Tobias provides great support and the product is being continually improved. I can't see where it does partial backups though and can't see how it can, as is?

RSync type applications are of no use where the source and destination files are on the same PC, even if the destination is on an external hard drive. RSync is a client/server program and its purpose is to minimize the amount of data (traffic) that needs to be sent between two computers in order to synchronize files. The client and server read the files in their entirety, several times in fact and send data back and forth to determine what parts of the files have changed. The client finally sends just the parts that have changed to the server. So the data going down the wire is minimal but the CPU and Disk use at each end is higher than a simple Copy (Backup) process.

Also note that RSync et.all. are useless where the content of files changes dramatically over time. For example lets say you have a 100 files and only two have changed. RSync will perform very well here. But if you Zip up these 100 files and use RSync on the zipped file you will probably find the entire file is sent down the wire. This is simply because most every bit in the source and destination zip files have changed. Encrypted files such as TrueCrypt containers similarly won't work effectively.

Re. Surfulater. I'm slowly working a database synchronization where only the changes are sent between copies of Surfulater.

HTH.

brahman:
I have been highly satisfied with the SynchronizeIt! / CompareIt! combo from Grigsoft.  :up:

http://www.grigsoft.com/

In combination with Total Commander (which has an excellent synch tool itself, though the ability to do multiple batches is missing) SynchronizeIt! works superbly and I prefer it much over BeyondCompare, because it is simpler and much more intuitive to use, while in combination with Total Commander SI has at least the same functionality at a lower price.

Also speed is excellent, and it supports rar, zip and 7zip (in latest beta). Synchronize It! and CompareIt! integrate very well also: When you want to see exactly where the files differ, simply double click on the file pair and CompareIt! will do its magic, even comparing ini files if the sections are in different places within the file (if set up properly with the ini plugin). Then you can do a merge operation if you want line by line or change by change. In the new beta even binary comparisons are possible.

If you use them via Total Commander, you make a button on the button bar and then when you click on the button, both dirs are synched or files even within the same folder compared.

Some more info on TC integration is here:
http://www.grigsoft.com/art_totcmd.htm

SynchronizeIt! synchs folders, archives and FTP sites; it also has very powerful compare and synchronize files on non-connected PCs functions, logs and is very very fast. Preferences are stored in an ini file, thank god.

You can setup really complicated synch and backup jobs, exclude and include to your hearts content.

The interface is uncluttered and nicely designed. Download the current versions and then install the current (stable) betas/alphas over them, because the betas are bare bone programs only and this way you maintain help functionality.

SynchronizeIt! only costs about $14,50 or the combo with CompareIt! $29,50 and has a full function trial (the amounts are the 25% discounted prices by using coupon ICANSAVE).  :Thmbsup:

The developer is very responsive and genuinely interested in helping his users even with complicated situations. Forum answers are prompt.

I have tested many synching programs starting with the Laplink for DOS almost twenty years ago, and I have found this software to be the best in the market.

Kind Regards,

Brahman  :)

brotherS:
I think I'll be interested in a DC discount for SFFS too! Just tried it, pretty intuitive. I'll probably only need the basic version, so a percentage discount for both versions would be cool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version