ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WDS and huge index files?

<< < (2/2)

J-Mac:
Jimdoria,

Man I butchered that sentence! Syntactic ambiguity at its best...

Sorry about that. WDS is what I hate, not ON2007. And yes, you can run OneNote just fine without WDS. It is not a requirement. I can search within OneNote but it isn't that fast. Supposedly searches for text-in-graphics is better with WDS, though since I rarely ever do that I can't say.

As for desktop search, I use both Locate32 and Everything. Both are lighting fast and neither spends any significant CPU resources indexing all the time.

Jim

MrCrispy:
You could limit the WDS search to just the OneNote files (limiting it by file type or by folder location) and then have the best of both worlds. On one of my old pc's I have WDS set to only search the start menu.

J-Mac:
You could limit the WDS search to just the OneNote files (limiting it by file type or by folder location) and then have the best of both worlds. On one of my old pc's I have WDS set to only search the start menu.
-MrCrispy (February 26, 2009, 09:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

My biggest problem with WDS is that it indexes whenever it pleases - can't be configured. Even if you limit the file type. It is setup as a service and you cannot stop it; even setting it to manual, it starts anyway. I even disabled it and it started up by itself! When it decides to look around and index it takes focus away from whatever application you happen to be in. I must use Dragon NaturalSpeaking to input text if it is a large amount, and WDS would quietly start, steal focus, and if I didn't notice it right away I would dictate for ten minutes or more to the air, because when focus is stolen Dragon isn't typing.

MS Support and I went around and around with this - no solution, and they freely admitted it is a problem. But not a big enough one for them to bother to fix. Somehow that did not surprise me...

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version