topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Living with Linux Ubuntu (ONLY) for 30 days  (Read 7563 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Living with Linux Ubuntu (ONLY) for 30 days
« on: March 09, 2007, 04:29 AM »
Wonder what it would be like to say goodbye to Windows? I'm not going to tell you how it ends, but you will definitely want to read this lengthy article.

Linux on the desktop has been viable for years, especially for programming gurus who can solve their Linux problems by simply writing new software. It also seems to be viable for “Mom and Pop” end-users who just want a machine to write letters, send email, and browse the Web (although, admittedly, a guru will probably have to set it up for them).
But what about power users, such as the typical audience of HardOCP - those who know how to build their own computers, but not compile their own programs? Or people who may not know how to do something, but aren't afraid of taking the time to figure it out? Is Linux truly an alternative? Can they do everything they did in Windows? The truth is, we didn't know, but we very much wanted to find out.

Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Living with Linux Ubuntu (ONLY) for 30 days
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 01:10 PM »
VERY lengthy article, but it gives the subject the treatment it deserves. I've been living with Xubuntu solo for about 6 months now, and my wife is having no trouble ;D . I agree with almost everything in the article, basically:

1- Linux is stabler than you.
2- Ubuntu has all but beaten the package management nightmare.
3- You may have some problems with some hardware, notably printers and wi-fi. Do your homework first.
4- Unless you're playing Quake 4, hardcore gamers are going to be dissapointed.
5- Gimp is not Photoshop, but it's close enough for 95% of what most folks use photoshop for, and theres GimpShop for those who don't use Gimp because they can't figure out the buttons.

I most fully and heartily disagree with this one:
For example, users of GarageBand or Sony’s ACID will regret the lack of a loop-based audio editor for Linux...
Holy Smokin' Sequencers, ain't he ever heard of Audacity? Rosegarden? Ardour? LMMS? yeesh... How's about a clue-by-four -> RIGHT HERE.

...(though the Jokosher project is heading in that direction.)
I have tried Jokosher and I can say this; It is pointed in that direction. Barely headed, really (but I'll admit it's a really nice looking start).

All in all, nice find Ken.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 03:15 AM »
What strikes me as funny is that he is judging APPLICATIONS and then talking about them as if they are 'LINUX' which is, afaik, a kernel.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 04:50 AM »
What strikes me as funny is that he is judging APPLICATIONS and then talking about them as if they are 'LINUX' which is, afaik, a kernel.

I think, despite protests from FSF, Linux has caught on as a name for the platform as a whole. Personally I think that's a good thing, Linux is short and catchy. And who in their right mind ever thought recursive acronyms were cool anyway :D

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 06:07 AM »
Personally I think that's a good thing

It's not when someone blames a bug in gnome on 'linux'. That makes baby Linus cry. ;)

<edit>
... and what's even worse is that he credits Ubuntu to 'manage the cpu' so it doesn't freeze at 100%, while this is the same with any other gnu/linux distro, since the Ubuntu had nothing to do with this, this is the hard work of the kernel developers.
</edit>
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 04:53 PM by Gothi[c] »

gjehle

• Joined in 2006
  • lonesome linux warrior
    • View Profile
    • Open Source Corner
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 05:17 AM »
well i did say good bye to windows over 4 years ago
been using linux for even longer than that

i'm running gentoo and i'm totally happy

of course:

hardcore gamers will be disappointed
if you want to play games, stick to windows, nobody's forcing you

gimp is not photoshop
why do i keep hearing that over and over again
photoshop = $$$ // gimp = free
and if you really want to, there's vmware

comparing different operating systems is like comparing apples and pears
get over it
linux is not windows, windows is not mac, ... i could go on ad infinitum

i'd say: if you REALLY want to use linux (not just because it's cool, and everybody does it right now) you might find something you like
but if you're going to be like "let's just try this for 30 days" it's going to fail
since it takes a LOT longer to customize everything for the first time till it's the way you're comfortable with it
it's more like a constant process

anyways, enough ranting
if you don't like it, stick to somthing else
nobody's forcing anyone

and whoever says A is better than B should be shot in the face :p

stop comparing, start using

2stepsback

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • My "2stepsback" blog - Updated!
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 02:28 AM »
Hi all,

this seems to be interesting for those hesitant on trying out Linux:

http://www.linux-xp.com/

The main idea of Linux XP Desktop is to easily combine the best features of Linux and Windows. The most important MS Windows functions will not be lost.

List of hardware and software support:
http://www.linux-xp.com/features/

Docs:
http://www.linux-xp....pd_quickstart_en.pdf

Prices:   http://www.linux-xp.com/buy-license/
Linux XP Desktop 2006 Activation Key
+ lifetime updates => 19.99 USD
and
Linux XP Desktop 2006 Activation Key
+ lifetime updates + 30 days of support => 39.98 USD
The download is fully functional for 99 boot-ups. Thereafter, some programs (I think those that allow Linux-XP to co-exist with windows XP) third party programs stop working if not registered ( = USD 20 )

But Linux-XP will continue to work normally as if it were registered, if you plan to use the standard FOSS programs that everyone else uses :) :)

It is *NOT* crippleware like Vista. AFAIK, you can do everything with it that you can with other linux distros. I've not tried it out, but I will soon and let you know if it is really good.

-2stepsback
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. A good deed a day keeps the Devil away.
See http://www.codinghor...archives/000735.html
------------
<a href="http://www.w3schools.com/">W3Schools</a> - A collection of free HTML, CSS, JavaScript, DHTML, XML, XHTML, WAP, ASP, SQL tutorials with lots of working examples and source code.