ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New higher performance notebook pc drive shipping soon

(1/2) > >>

KenR:
Samsung says it will soon begin shipping a hybrid notebook PC hard drive that uses less power, yet will boot and resume considerably faster than traditional drives.

Samsung said Wednesday that it had begun shipments of its first hybrid hard drive to select OEMs, and that retail shipments would begin "soon".
The new MH80 2.5-inch hybrid drives for notebook PCs will be available in 80-, 120-, and 160-Gbyte capacities, with either 128 Mbytes or 256 Mbytes of onboard flash memory, for caching purposes.
Samsung representatives weren't immediately available to answer questions on the drive's retail availability or pricing...
Acording to Samsung, its MH80 drives feature Samsung's "ReadyBoot" (not ReadyBoost) technology that offers up to a 50 percent reduction in boot and resume times from traditional magnetic hard drives. In addition, the drive consumes 70-90 percent less power than a traditional hard drive, which extends the battery life by 30 minutes before a recharge is needed, the company said.

--- End quote ---

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2101571,00.asp

f0dder:
Now, let us see hybrid flash drives for desktop machines as well, and with XP support... Or at least Intel's Robson technology.

iphigenie:
Who needs hybrid... I would love a pure flash boot drive of 6 to 8 gb and a traditional drive for all the rest... why is it that small embedded PCs have had that for years and it's still not an option on any desktop machine or notebook?

steeladept:
Who needs hybrid... I would love a pure flash boot drive of 6 to 8 gb and a traditional drive for all the rest... why is it that small embedded PCs have had that for years and it's still not an option on any desktop machine or notebook?
-iphigenie (March 09, 2007, 08:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Funny you should mention that.  A coworker just told me about a 32GB Flash drive Samsung is putting out.  More info here:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/21/32gb_ssd_samsung/

urlwolf:
But remember, Flash has a limited # of read/writes... these HDs will not last as much as standard ones. I wonder how they plan to market that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version