topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: About signing up to download freeware license keys - READ IN PLEASE  (Read 233038 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: About signing up to download freeware license keys - READ IN PLEASE
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2013, 07:12 AM »
@TaoPhoenix: Sorry if I seem obtuse, but I don't think I understand what you are getting at there. Did I mess something up?
If anything, each exposure to absurdity might reduce my tolerance - or so it seems to me. For example, that's why I tend not to waste my cognitive surplus listening to politicians, for whose absurd utterances I mostly now have zero tolerance.

jeannetteparks

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Too much work... any thought of giving a donation quickly faded with the amount of time of trying to figure this out
I'm deleting my account

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2014, 12:09 AM »
Maybe the Admins should give these occasional terse one-time "I'm pissed off with/don't understand the process, or something" account deletions a Class name?
For example (say), "GW" for "Global Warming", or something of similar ambiguity?

We could then assume there was always no need to make the effort of responding to GWs, since there would arguably be no point in responding.

Or has @mouser cunningly and deliberately engineered the process to be a little tricky so that it acts as a kind of automatic acceptance test (filter) into the forum membership?    :tellme:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2014, 06:19 AM »
I always appreciate the "lost donation" kicker some people feel obligated to add before flouncing off. :-\

@IainB - probably be best if we all just leave any responses on this thread to Mouser and the moderators. 8)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 06:26 AM by 40hz »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2014, 07:37 AM »
I've said it many times before but I can only sympathize with people who get frustrated -- I can understand why it would happen and I can all too easily see myself in their shoes and being more angry than they are.  So I apologize for the complications in the process.  I try to contact the people who post and help them out though the damage may be done at that point.  It's just that there are other programming tasks that have inevitably get higher priority to work on than these things.

donnezg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2015, 10:38 PM »
 :Thmbsup: Hello  :Thmbsup:
I must agree with nicklettin, I to am very grateful and extremely excited over stumbling into this site. I am all for the way the programs are offered. I mean really, what is it that they don't understand.
As for me I am very new to this site, I'm sure you've notice, and I must say I do feel very comfortable with it.
Oh and thank you "Mouser" for all you hard work and sharing you give us.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2015, 10:41 PM »
Thanks for your kind words donnezg, please make yourself at home here  :up:
Check out our latest newsletter and the user-to-user section for some good threads to post in: https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=40337

yinshuo75

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2015, 05:09 AM »
Thanks a lot, I am a freshmen. Thanks your wok for us.  :)

shechaiyah

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2015, 03:25 PM »
i am not new to this site.  SINCE I DONATED $10 I HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY UNABLE TO USE THIS SOFTWARE; AND THE RED TAPE YKAKKITA YAKKITA YAKKITA GOES ON FOR EVER.

NOW ARE YOU GUYS IN THE SOFTWARE BUSINESS OR AR EYIOU HERE TO JUST WASTE OUR TIME????

NO LICENSE KEYS ARE VISIBLE, HAVE BEEN SEND NOR CAN BE FOUND ANYWHERE HERE!

[PHONE NUMBER REMOVED BY MODERATOR]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:27 PM by mouser »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Whoa. Please take your ego off the shift key.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2015, 07:34 AM »
Whoa. Please take your ego off the shift key.
Have some sympathy. I think you may find that @shechaiyah's PC has got the SHIFTCAPSLOCKLOUD Keyboard Hijack Virus. I got that once and it got me into real strife - I was given a warning by the Lothario.com dating site I was using at the time that, if I didn't keep my voice down, then I would be banned.
Unfortunately, by the time I had managed to get a virus removal tool to excise the virus, all my potential dates unfriended me and I had to start over with a completely new Lothario profile. It was very embarrassing, I can tell you.    :-[

we4345h

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2015, 12:28 PM »
you can't make popular this way your forum... after all that adventure you don't even have the free key that you promised, you give a 6 months trial...(it its working, i will not even try ty) i suggest you not to give free your program, you will make more money and people will be more grateful, as for this ''free'' version of yours sucks hard, you need manners
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:37 PM by we4345h »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2015, 12:40 PM »
I understand the frustration -- we aren't the best at explaining our methods sometimes..  It's hard trying to balance the comittment to keeping the software free and full, while at the same time trying to encourage donations in a world where they are increasingly rare.

We do try to make up for that in being helpful and real human beings.
If you email me I can send you a non-expiring license key.

md2

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2016, 01:57 AM »
 :)

So how does one get the free 6mo license advertised in your web site? I, like others before, read & read and found nothing that answered the reason I was directed here.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2016, 02:21 AM »
:)

So how does one get the free 6mo license advertised in your web site? I, like others before, read & read and found nothing that answered the reason I was directed here.
hi md2
Go to the software page (link top of page here). In the panel on the left, there's a link for licenses with a picture of a lock beside it saying:
Need a license key? Click here.

I added the link while I was at it...
Tom

aleksandar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2016, 09:16 AM »
This is the most annoying program registration key procedure in the whole wide world!!!! For fak sake, why do i need to register for a program that i will uninstall after 25 seconds?
 :down:

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2016, 09:28 AM »
You just did. Point proven.

Also, welcome to DC.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Yes, our registration procedure can be annoying.

But let me point out that there is no need to register or do ANYTHING in order to install and use our software -- only thing that changes when you register (free) is the nag message disappears on startup of the program.

You can just download, install, and use all of our software for as long as you want without ever registering or doing anything.

So please do take the opportunity to figure out if you want to keep using the software before you bother to register, and only then worry about going through the steps to do so.

ai4fu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2016, 09:16 AM »
Gather 'round, kids, gather 'round. I've got a story to tell. Grab a snack/drink, visit the head, this is going to be a bit longer than most.

I stumbled across donationcoder.com back in 2007 while looking for a way to grab media URLs direct instead of dealing with websites trying to obscure their file sources and prevent downloads. I started on autohotkey and somehow wound up here. I pretty quickly got distracted by things like Skrommel's software page and all the cool mini utilities on his page.

After bouncing into the forum and getting lost in there for a while, I stumbled across some reference to URL Snooper 2. The name alone piqued my interest considering why I wound up here to begin with. I opened a new tab and googled the name and, wonder of all wonders, it pointed me right back to DC.  :o I scrambled back to the previous tab and quickly located the page for it.

I don't think I read more than a paragraph before I was headed for the download link. Downloaded the installer, and turned it loose on my laptop. Roughly 2 minutes later, I was in love. It produced precisely what I was looking for, it was bug free, commercial quality, it was free to use, and was ridiculously simple to operate.

Let me tell you, if URL Snooper 2 had been a little run around car, I would have worn it the hell out. I used that program so much. Pretty sure I had it scripted to run with a hotkey combo. I'm reasonably certain that I used it to grab literally thousands, if not tens of thousands of direct URLs for multimedia files.

I have to pause here to give a little background. I am a commercial truck driver. Haven't always worked for the best companies. And back in those days my little family struggled. Not poor like eating ramen soup for 6 days towards the end of the month because the bills were coming due poor, but living in a mobile home and only eating out once a month and packing several days worth of pre-made frozen meals in my cooler in my rig because I couldn't afford to eat at truck stops(truck stop prices on everything are stupidly high, captive customers can't shop around). Needless to say, I couldn't justify paying for a DC license key.

I used URL Snooper 2 for about a year and found a forum thread about license keys. After reading it I got in touch with mouser and pleaded my case. He graciously accepted my story(pretty much what I said in the previous paragraph) and sent me a license key for free. Boom, nag screen gone. I made sure to say thanks and went back to downloading my vast and growing all the time library of MP3 files.

Fast forward to present day. I have changed companies a few times, worked my tail off, and now have what I like to call "discretionary income". I'm doing quite well and looking to be debt free in just a little over a year. Own a regular house in a nice neighborhood, couple of cars, you get the idea.

I still use that program from time to time although only occasionally now(there are extensions for Firefox that do the work for me, mostly), but I still use it. I decided to stop by a couple of days ago and see if it might have been upgraded to a new version. I still had the latest version, but seeing the donation link on the site made me pause. I thought "You know what, mouser sent you a key for free out of sheer kindness back when you couldn't afford to support the software you are using, but you really don't have an excuse any more. You waste more money than a single-user license just buying the odd gadget here and there. The whole 'poor' thing just doesn't fit you any more."

So, I decided to buy a license yesterday. I just wanted to tell my little story and say this to mouser:

Thank you for your kindness back when I needed help. It may not have seemed like any big deal to you at the time, but I assure you; it meant a lot to me. I didn't have anything to offer back then except gratitude. But now that things have changed for me, I'd like to support the software and the site. I'd have cheerfully paid twice the amount.

Thanks for reading, apologies for the literary masterpiece above, story time is over kids. G'night.

With very best wishes,
Jim

PS This is directed to the spoiled people-
Spoiler
It is saddening to see the utter lack of gratitude shown by a few in this thread. That immaturity, sense of entitlement, ignorance, and utter contempt for the hard work of others should take you far in life and I hope each and every one of you gets exactly what you deserve.

(Sorry mouser. I know I'm supposed to be nice, but I just had to say something. Edit if you think it necessary.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:11 AM by ai4fu, Reason: Why does anyone edit anything? Something needed fixing. »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2016, 04:20 PM »
Thanks for reading, apologies for the literary masterpiece above, story time is over kids. G'night.

good story :-*
Tom

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2016, 04:40 PM »
TL;DR

altare

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2016, 12:19 AM »
just wanted to say thanks for pop up wisdom. always makes me smile even on crummy days.took a bit to figure out how to use the license key, but all is fine. love the site and all the work you  all do

regards

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2016, 08:19 AM »
just wanted to say thanks for pop up wisdom. always makes me smile even on crummy days.took a bit to figure out how to use the license key, but all is fine. love the site and all the work you  all do

regards

Welcome to the forum! I'm not the author of the program, but I did see where it was your first post and mouser will be happy to hear that about his program...anyways welcome to the forum hope to see you around more. :)

ai4fu, that is a nice story as well and welcome back after so long being away. :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:25 AM by hamradio, Reason: Added more text... »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ai4fu,

Thank you so much for making such a wonderful post.
It means the world to me to read something like that.  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
ai4fu,

WOW  :D and Thank you  :Thmbsup:  from DC.

A programmer always feels happy to read such appreciation. It is not always the money but always the good wishes, which make us programmers work hard to put smiles on unknown faces.

Regards,

Anand