ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can you upgrade, inspite a broken installer?

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
By now the hole DC world must know that I have upgraded from Win2K to XP Home (OEM; no disc), but the sad fact is that this have been such a disappointing to me. From the very beginning at February the 24'th there has been more errors than I had during the previous five years with Win2K - and that system was not too stable, I thought.

Now it has gone completely mad: the Windows Installer is broken. I can't even update! Of course I rushed to the store, but there was a reason I had it so cheap; they know next to nothing about IT - (but they will sell you a washing mascine or a blender) - and will only promise to send it to the head quarter's mechanics. They, on the other hand, may be clever on the subject, but I became nervous about the hole situation and was thinking that I could use the occasion to upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro.

But then the question is if such an installment also will fail, due to the "old" broken XP Home installer, or if the new XP Pro installer may / will 'take over' and install as normal?? What is your opinion on this??

mouser:
ill give you the advice i always give with operating systems upgrades, though i have to say it's based mostly just on my intuitions and not massive experience trying both options.

I always prefer a clean operating system install.  Make notes and backups and if possible save your old hard drive and install the new OS on a new hard drive.  The benefits of doing a new install are significant in terms of keeping your system clean and organized, and forcing you to keep track of what you really need and use.

Just my 2 cents.

Curt:
I always prefer a clean operating system install.  -mouser (March 08, 2007, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, mouser. I believe I understand your point to the letter, but I was thinking that if I bought this XP Pro upgrade disc, then maybe I could upgrade both the new XP Home and the old 2000 Pro at the same time, giving me an excellent backup media. The price for the complete XP Pro is still very high, so I was first considering the cheaper upgrading way.

Curt:
... I have upgraded from Win2K to XP Home (OEM; no disc), ...: the Windows Installer is broken. ... was thinking that I could use the occasion to upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro.

But then the question is if such an installment also will fail, due to the "old" broken XP Home installer, or if the new XP Pro installer may / will 'take over' and install as normal?? What is your opinion on this??
-Curt (March 08, 2007, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does any of you guys and dolls have some kind of an answer to this question, please?!

:tellme:

mouser:
it very well might fix it.. but then again it might not  :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version