topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MoveOver - Windows to Linux migration tool  (Read 4348 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MoveOver - Windows to Linux migration tool
« on: July 13, 2007, 11:10 AM »
For those who have been watching Zaine's experiences with switching to Linux and would like to follow suit, here is a tool to help.
I haven't tested it personally (already been running Linux too long), but it's apparently fully compatible with Sun's Java desktop and Novell's Suse distro.
There's a freeware version (it says for Fedora Core 2 only, but I bet you could hack the zip to fit your own distro... ) and a work-in-progress open source version

MoveOver is a user-friendly, wizard-driven migration tool that migrates your Windows environment to your new Linux Desktop in just 2 simple steps.

from ShellCity
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 11:12 AM by Edvard »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MoveOver - Windows to Linux migration tool
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 11:33 AM »
Interesting. I presume it works only with compatible apps between GNU/Linux and Windows. For example, it couldn't migrate an outlook PST file, so your email would need to be in Thunderbird or something like that, right?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MoveOver - Windows to Linux migration tool
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 01:57 PM »
Yes, you would expect that to be the case, but from their Features page:

The following features are supported by both MoveOver Version 3.0.0 and MoveOver Version 4.0.0:

Migration Features
Outlook® Express
   - Email Account & Configurations
   - Emails & Email Folders
Outlook® 2000, XP & 2003
   - Email Account & Configurations
   - Emails & Email Folders
   - Contacts
   - Calendar
   - Tasks
   - Notes
Internet Preferences