topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: CrossLoop – Simple Secure Screen Sharing  (Read 19537 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CrossLoop – Simple Secure Screen Sharing
« on: March 07, 2007, 06:47 AM »
Share computer screens quickly and securely through a firewall or NAT

What is CrossLoop?
CrossLoop is a FREE secure screen sharing utility designed for people of all technical skill levels. CrossLoop extends the boundaries of VNC’s traditional screen sharing by enabling non-technical users to get connected from anywhere on the Internet in seconds without changing any firewall or router settings. It only takes a few minutes to setup and no signup is required.
Is CrossLoop Secure?
Security is built into all aspects of CrossLoop. Session data is encrypted at the end-points before being sent using a 128-bit encryption algorithm using a randomly generated 12-digit access code. Explicit permission is required before any screen images are sent to a remote computer. CrossLoop is a secure tool to remotely assist any PC on the planet.

from alt.comp.freeware
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Mrinal

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: CrossLoop – Simple Secure Screen Sharing
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 09:11 PM »
Hey KenR - thanks for recommending CrossLoop.  :Thmbsup:
It means a lot to this small team! Please let me know if anyone has questions.
I also recommend that you subscribe to our blog for new releases and updates - we are working on some really neat stuff. Thanks. Mrinal

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:55 PM »
Wonderful to see you hear Mrinal.
Please do keep us updated on any major developments and good luck with your project  :Thmbsup:

Mrinal

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 09:02 PM »
Absolutely our pleasure Mouser - the least one can do for the support you guys have given us.
I would recommend subscribing to the CrossLoop Blog for updates and new releases - we are working on some exciting stuff!

Avery00

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 12:27 AM »
hi guys..!
I'm a newbie here. I have just been the crossloop site, it is really impressive and exciting. Can u guys give me some info regarding crossloop as it is looking interesting. Hope u guys would do...Thanks in advance.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 02:01 AM »
What kind of information are you looking for, Avery?

I've used Crossloop a number of times to help out my wife's friends (who don't speak English). She translates over the phone and I work the magic for the computer stuff. We make a good team.

elpresi

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 03:38 AM »
How does it compare to Teamviewer or Ammyy Admin?
http://www.ammyy.com/en/
http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 05:55 PM »
I just tried to use CrossLoop to help out my sister. I instructed her to go to the website to download and install the software to her PC. But CrossLoop is dead.

To support our rapidly growing AVG CloudCare offering, AVG Technologies in 2012 acquired some of CrossLoop’s assets, including the service provided at the www.crossloop.com website. AVG has made the business decision to no longer provide the remote support and management tools available through the CrossLoop website.

Effective today, January 31, 2014, the CrossLoop website at www.crossloop.com and related products and services are no longer available (pursuant to the terms of use available at http://www.crossloop.../termsofservice.html). This announcement applies to any and all versions of the product, including paid and free releases. It will no longer be possible to register for a user account, or purchase or access the CrossLoop website, services or products.

AVG is providing a full refund on valid, active subscriptions. If you feel you are entitled to a refund but have not received one by February 28, 2014, please notify us at [email protected].

If you wish to contact us directly with regards to your account, or for any other questions, please contact us at [email protected].

We thank you for being a customer.

I guess I can uninstall it now. . .

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Pretty jive move just pulling the plug on everything - including paid subscriptions- with zero warning - and no comment other than to say it's being done "pursuant to the terms of use." Most companies would give existing subscribers time to transition rather than abruptly kill a service and offer refunds. Like I said: jive move.

BTW - I checked out the AVG page, and discovered they don't post pricing anywhere. Generally not a good sign when that happens.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 09:06 PM »
I will miss Crossloop.  Didn't use it all that much but when I did...

now will have to find another one  :(

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 11:49 PM »
Teamviewer works just fine for me when I have to remote in to my in-laws computer, AND it runs from my Linux workstation (imagine that).  I prefer TigerVNC, but...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 12:29 AM »
FWIW I used join.me again lately. Worked well.
https://join.me/
Tom

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 01:07 AM »
I have used Fog Creek's Copilot:  https://www.copilot.com/

$5 for a day-pass, free on the weekend.

Other plans are available if you need to use it regularly.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 02:11 AM »
TeamViewer is great for me. I've been using it to remote to my own PC from my phone/tablet for a couple of years now. It's never let me down. And free for personal use.  :Thmbsup:

I like it well enough that I'd probably even pay for it... if the cheapest plan wasn't $750. But I guess with prices like that, they're probably making enough money from sales to support people like me for free.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 05:50 AM »
I preferred Crossloop over TeamViewer because it lacked the capability to allow remote access without somebody physically at the local machine to grant it. Most of my clients are in the legal or financial services sector. So that was a major selling point. I know you don't need to setup unattended access in TeamViewer. But with this crowd, there's a big difference between "not able" and "not enabled" when it comes to that sort of feature. And I don't blame them.

Now I get to call everybody this week and tell them CrossLoop is no longer available and we'll be putting in for subscription refunds - and yeah, sorry I didn't give them more of a heads up.

Monday, monday...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 08:02 AM »
so Crossloop joins Hamachi and Logmein in the pay-to-use realm..

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 10:03 AM »
so Crossloop joins Hamachi and Logmein in the pay-to-use realm..

It's not so much that as how it's now only available bundled in (AVG makes pains to say it's included free) with a bunch of AVG cloud services you probably won't want. If they merely wanted to make it 'pay-only' that wouldn't have been a problem. They could have moved the old subscription base over and continued without anyone minding -or- announced there wouldn't be any renewals and served out the subscription periods. Instead they've elected to be disruptive by immediately shutting down the service and only offering refunds to current subscribers.

Nope! This is pure carrot and stick. You want CrossLoop? Well it's not for sale. But...if you want to subscribe to a pile of AVG things you may not want (or are getting from other suppliers) you can magically get CrossLoop for "free."

It's the old 'bundle blackmail,' (aka dog-in-the-hayloft) marketing strategy at work here.

Like I said: jive move AVG... >:(

(Can anybody tell I'm really pissed about this? ;D)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:31 AM by 40hz »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 04:14 PM »
I just tried to use CrossLoop to help out my sister. I instructed her to go to the website to download and install the software to her PC. But CrossLoop is dead.

To support our rapidly growing AVG CloudCare offering, AVG Technologies in 2012 acquired some of CrossLoop’s assets, including the service provided at the www.crossloop.com website. AVG has made the business decision to no longer provide the remote support and management tools available through the CrossLoop website.

Effective today, January 31, 2014, the CrossLoop website at www.crossloop.com and related products and services are no longer available (pursuant to the terms of use available at http://www.crossloop.../termsofservice.html). This announcement applies to any and all versions of the product, including paid and free releases. It will no longer be possible to register for a user account, or purchase or access the CrossLoop website, services or products.

AVG is providing a full refund on valid, active subscriptions. If you feel you are entitled to a refund but have not received one by February 28, 2014, please notify us at [email protected].

If you wish to contact us directly with regards to your account, or for any other questions, please contact us at [email protected].

We thank you for being a customer.

I guess I can uninstall it now. . .

It's not so much that as how it's now only available bundled in (AVG makes pains to say it's included free) with a bunch of AVG cloud services you probably won't want. If they merely wanted to make it 'pay-only' that wouldn't have been a problem. They could have moved the old subscription base over and continued without anyone minding -or- announced there wouldn't be any renewals and served out the subscription periods. Instead they've elected to be disruptive by immediately shutting down the service and only offering refunds to current subscribers.

Nope! This is pure carrot and stick. You want CrossLoop? Well it's not for sale. But...if you want to subscribe to a pile of AVG things you may not want (or are getting from other suppliers) you can magically get CrossLoop for "free."

It's the old 'bundle blackmail,' (aka dog-in-the-hayloft) marketing strategy at work here.

Like I said: jive move AVG... >:(

(Can anybody tell I'm really pissed about this? ;D)
((Apologies if I mucked up the quotes))

I'm "pissed from afar", as a moderately informed bystander.

Somewhere about here is my comment about the true volatility of software, across the entire industry.

Company A produces software, and even escapes the whole free-vs-paid trap and convinces you to pay for their program. (Only some five programs ever passed that bar for me.)

Company Sauron-Clone8 "Purchases some of the assets including ____, which includes The-Program&Service-you-liked, for (usual biz fake reasons)."

Company A's stuff becomes "no longer available". Company Sauron-Clone8 "offers refunds" blah blah blah.

No. Here's why.

Specifically/Especially the "Lifetime License" is the one at risk.

Because a Business in 2002 is doing just fine, did its math right and can afford the license, and off it goes. So you look hard, it all checks out, and you buy a Lifetime License in 2003.

That small company A has no idea that in 2011 Sauron_Clone8 will buy them out to shut them down, just because some 3/4 executive manager decided that was an action item to do.

This brings up a grand meta-topic: Are any DC'ers registered attorneys? To me this feels like it begins to have legal implications, even if we don't stand to gain much. If Company A sells "Lifetime Licenses" "In Good Faith" and all that, and Company Sauron_Clone8 decides to "buy selected assets", how are they escaping the contractual obligations to provide the services?!

Bonus: "Some assets". Forgive the clunky wording based on my old program from work, but what is "Assets +ConditionAdd AssetsNotBought"? Can we "utilize" those NotBought Assets? : )

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 05:23 PM »
That small company A has no idea that in 2011 Sauron_Clone8 will buy them out to shut them down, just because some 3/4 executive manager decided that was an action item to do.

I think the more common scenario is that no new product or service will survive unscathed in this era of megacorps and patent trolls asserting IP claims. So the "smart" startup strategy is to become a thorn in some behemoth's side fast enough that they decide to buy you out while you're still chump change to acquire. The fact our startup shareholders can easily retire on it speaks volumes as to what chump change is to different people depending on their size.

I've heard VCs say you should only plan to create in order to get bought out. Not build a company to last the ages like before.

Heck, even a big and well-heeled 'new' company isn't immune. Look how IBM mucked up Twitter's planned IPO by waiting until just the right moment to assert an utterly bogus patent claim when Twitter wouldn't cut them in.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 05:41 PM »
now will have to find another one  :(

Having just jumped on the Chromebook bandwagon, I was surprised how well Chrome Remote Desktop works. I've only tried it on the Chromebook, but it's supposed to be cross-platform. Once it's installed on both computers, you don't even need anyone at the other end to type in passwords etc., like it was the case with TeamViewer the last time I used it (admittedly a while ago).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 08:17 PM »
I just heard about SplashTop. I haven't used it myself, but from what I've heard, it's very fast (unlike TeamViewer, which takes forever sometimes to update the screen).

It might be worth looking into.

ADNY78

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 10:08 AM »
The different tasks need different solutions. I try to one-way remote control of my students with TNM.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 12:17 PM »
The different tasks need different solutions. I try to one-way remote control of my students with TNM.

@ADNY78 - Nice! I took a quick look and TNM seems like a very ca[able tool for remote monitoring and tech notification. I'm going to have to play with that a bit when I get a chance.

But I didn't see that it had a remote desktop feature which I feel is essential for providing remote support to a client. Did I miss it by any chance?
 :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 12:22 PM »
I just heard about SplashTop. I haven't used it myself, but from what I've heard, it's very fast (unlike TeamViewer, which takes forever sometimes to update the screen).

Thx for the heads-up Deo. I'll give it a try. :)

FWIW I never found TeamViewer to take forever to do anything. It's as light or lighter than any other RD tool I've ever used. But I guess it really all depends on the the quality and speed of the network connection so YMMV.
 :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 06:22 PM »

FWIW I never found TeamViewer to take forever to do anything. It's as light or lighter than any other RD tool I've ever used. But I guess it really all depends on the the quality and speed of the network connection so YMMV.
 :Thmbsup:

I exaggerated a bit when I said it takes forever. But I have experienced it taking several seconds to update the screen when there were large changes, such as opening or minimizing a window.

I tried SplashTop on my PC from my Tablet (Tablet to PC connection) and it works pretty well over WiFi. I think you have to pay if you want to use it over the internet. But I would agree that it seems to run a lot more smoothly than TeamViewer does. I like it.