ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Extended Character Aascii Art questions

<< < (4/4)

app103:
Am I missing something here or am I the only one to think of the obvious...

Any screen capture program that is capable of scrolling window captures should be able to get the whole thing just as you see it on your screen...then save the image and print that scaled to fit your page.

Wouldn't that work? Then you could use the application that makes the nicest looking display of the ascii art and not having to worry about whether it prints it or not.

Edvard:
Yes, app that would be the best way and as you can see, that's how I posted the samples. But I think a point is being missed here...

What I WANT is a program that can open a file that contains extended character text, and hit the "Print" button and it prints it as it is displayed. Period. Done.
Specifically the pseudo-graphical output from "tree".
Why?

1- In the business in which I am employed, I find it convenient to give clients a handy list of files I have archived for them. I have an entry in my context menu that when I right click a folder, I select "print folder tree" and it hits a .bat file that looks like this:

--- ---@echo off
tree /A %1 > "%temp%\dirlist"
start /w notepad /p "%temp%\dirlist"
del "%temp%\dirlist"
exitAnd it prints a nice little tree of my files, with "+" signs at the nodes and so on. .
Go ahead, try it, it's fun...
Works, right? So what's the problem, you ask...

2- it bugs me that I can't figure out how to print out the nice little line diagram that 'tree' gives you without the '/A' flag. I can see it in the command box, I can see it when I open in notepad, but it .does.not.print.
I have tried all kind of Directory printing applications, so PLEASE don't go there, I have tried them all, and what I want is this one little simple thing, I can't believe there is NO application that can simply DO it.
I happened upon the idea of using .nfo viewers because they can read those extended characters and HOPEFULLY one of them will also be able to print it. (even more hopefully, automatically when I call it with a '/p' flag like notepad so I don't have to re-invent the wheel I am currently running on...)

I am currently working on the idea to use Autohotkey to parse the output from my little script into .rtf code and replace the node symbols with the cute little folder icons from Wingdings and print it out from Wordpad. That would be neat, eh?

And besides, the .nfo style of ascii art looks like fun...

Edvard:
Ok, so I have a solution to my first problem...
First, a2ps from the GnuWin32 tools.
Second, a batch script and a little learnin' about the 'print' command.

--- ---@echo off
tree %1 | a2ps - -1 -B --encoding=ibm-cp437 --center-title="Directory Listing" -o %temp%\tree
print /D:<insert your printer here> %temp%\tree
pauseand that does it...

BTW-Processing NFO files through a2ps with the 'ibm-cp437' encoding does well also. I'd like to see what it does with the proper 865 codepage.

Thanks all for the help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version