ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

TextPad updated to 5.0

(1/2) > >>

tranglos:
After two years or so, my favorite editor has been updated, just when I was about to give up hope: www.textpad.com

The list of new features isn't all that impressive, but the author says it is the first in a series of new releases to come. The update is free to registered users of TextPad 4.x.

Enhancements:

* Dockable File Explorer.
    * Dockable Search Results and Tool Output.
    * Tabbed document selector and clip library.
    * Resizable Find/Replace dialogs.
    * Drag and drop reordering of document tabs.
    * Configurable environment variables.
    * Vista 64 compatibility.
    * Partial URLs of the form www.domain.com are now syntax highlighted.

--- End quote ---

While TextPad didn't do too well in DC's Best Text Editor review, it's still my favorite editor. It has served me fantastically well over the years, and it's unmatched in manipulating huge files, 50 MB upwards.

Within the last year I've evaluated plenty of other editors, including some over the $100 mark; I've purchased EmEditor (I needed an editor that handles *all* Unicode files correctly; otherwise it still has a long way to go) and EditPad Pro (for its general neatness, but the more I use it, the more it disappoints me). TextPad remains the fastest, leanest, most streamlined in my daily use. It has only one annoycance that I can think of - the tab navigation scheme. Otherwise, of all the editors I've seen, TextPad is the one that never gets in my way and is by far the most productive.

marek

mouser:
Allen (respected DC member here) also swears by TextPad, and i'be been waiting for it myself for a long time, hoping for the inline spelling error highlighting that i'm so sorely missing in UltraEdit, so i'll be giving it a very close look.  :up:

mwb1100:
hoping for the inline spelling error highlighting that i'm so sorely missing in UltraEdit
-mouser (March 06, 2007, 05:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just today, IDM released UltraEdit 13.0 which has inline spell checking as a new feature.

They've also revamped the macro engine so that you can write macros using Javascript instead of a proprietary language.

Looks interesting, but I haven't tried it, yet...

mouser:
Oh wow..
These are the very 2 items that I found deficient in UE (UE macro editing was better than many, but still a real pain) -- it's quite good news to hear they've improved that.

(version 13.. hmm are they aiming for largest version number award?)

crono:
(version 13.. hmm are they aiming for largest version number award?)
-mouser (March 07, 2007, 03:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
No way - I got here "Microsoft Office 2007" ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version