ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Avafind mini review

<< < (3/4) > >>

Darwin:
"Slow at what?" - Opening the GUI (I select it from the system tray rather than using the taskbar toolbar) AND returning search results. When X1/YDS were working properly, the results returned were instantaneous. I have Copernic set to index my Outlook .pst file (200MB) and My Documents folder (this is in excess of 25GB). I'll try reducing the My Documents folders to those that I care about (there are lots of folders that are irrelevant, such as PSP 9, X, and X1 file folders) and see if it makes a difference.

While we're on the subject, though, indexing took more than 24 hours! Again, this may be due to the size of My Documents... However, I don't believe that this is particularly large in the context of modern harddrives that are approaching a terabyte in size. My entire harddrive is 80GB split into two partitions - one for Windows/programs and the other for My Documents.

MerleOne:
I also use X1: I have 3 pst files over 1GB each and it works fine.  The only drawback is that is uses a lot of ram and virtual memory.  Copernic interface was nicer IMO, but the engine used to be really buggy and missed a lot of e-mails.  I have not tried Copernic V2. 

Microsoft has now launched several months ago its own Desktop search.  Anyone did try it ?

Babis:
@surftwo: x1 is for files' content search and could be used as an addition to Avafind, but for files/folders searching/launching cannot be compared to avafind/locate

@svv1999:
1) there is not need to refresh the cache unless you have exited the program for a reason. Also a manual refresh doesn't delay the PC at all, in my PC it takes about a minute with 20% CPU.
2) Never experienced any crashing 3 years of using it and also Avafind never missed indexing a single file in 3 years
3) Mounted partitions, agree.

@edbro: CDS (copernic desktop search) indexer slows down occasionally the PC and lacks keyboard shortcuts. Definitely not recommended to be used solely to launch files/programs.

@MerleOne: I tried MS desktop search. It is not as customizable as CDS but it seems more stable and lighter. It could be used to launch files/programs.

Personally I am using Avafind in combination with DTSearch Desktop (for content searching) and Directory Opus.

doe5551212:
Have any of you tried FILE LOCATOR PRO or the freeware version AGENT RANSACK? http://www.mythicsoft.com/filelocatorpro/ and something really simple...SNOWBIRD5...http://www.geocities.com/casablanca2000in/msp/ Have used FILE LOCATOR PRO now for about three years...and, in my humble opinion, excellent. Before that I used AVA FIND and tried to contact to see when an update might be done...never received a reply after several emails to them. When working on other people's computers I always recommend AGENT RANSACK since it is free and does a great job...SNOWBIRD is another great no install program...

Darwin:
I have a copy of File Locator Pro but need something that will look inside my pst. AFAIK, FLP will not do this, hence my search for something that will. I know that LookOut will do the job, but I am hoping to avoid adding anymore to Outlook 2003's bloat...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version