ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to edit .xpi, and with what?

(1/5) > >>

Curt:
It was fun to realize that I somehow had managed to change the Firefox extension "IE View Lite" into a "Edit in Frontpage" version. It made me high, and for a while I was thinking silly thoughts about my skills   :P

Now I'm back to the ground, I think. My version of "ViewMyCurrency" stopped working, and an update from the author's site just made it even worse, so I removed it and tried to install an old stable version from Mozilla. It is for 1.5 and below only, but someone wrote "Download and save to desktop. Open xpi and change max version in install rdf to 2.0.0.1. Voila!", and that sounded easy, I said to myself.

"Open xpi"... hmm... with what?

This is what this xpi will lok like, if you open it with Notepad:

- and in Wordpad:

It may look a lot better in CopyWriter, but the right margen tells this is not the right way either, I would say - but then again, who am I to say anything but I don't know:

So, my big question to you is: How to edit a .xpi file?  - and with what?

dk70:
XPI is like a ZIP file and can be opened with Total Commander, 7-Zip etc. May be even XPs build-in unzipper.

Change max version to 2.0.0.* so it allows latest 2.0.0.2 and above. 3 or 10 would also work :)

Latest versions are almost always the best with this - well do check changelog so you know which bugs are in "stable" version http://viewmycurrency.wordpress.com/ Beta, alpha, stable loses meaning with extensions (Firefox...)

This install.rdf trick is not always the same as when author declare "Added: Support for Firefox 2" - often works but depends on extension.

I have used View Currency, was ok but I thought Change was a bit more lightweight https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3399/ more manual to operate. Now I dont use any.

Curt:
XPI is like a ZIP file and can be opened with Total Commander, 7-Zip etc. May be even XPs build-in unzipper.-dk70 (March 03, 2007, 08:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Done!  :Thmbsup:

But how do I get the files back into one xpi formatted folder/file for Firefox to open?
 :tellme:

dk70:
Just repack it like you would a zip file. If whatever you use insist on zip extension a rename should work. Hmm, depends on packing format? I dont know but in Total Commander build in zipper certainly can do it - and it is a common one. I open xpi file/view file list, click edit for install.rdf - edit away in external editor, ends with saving this temporary file - back to TC it offers to repack into xpi. Done.

Curt:
Just repack it like you would a zip file. If whatever you use insist on zip extension a rename should work. Hmm, depends on packing format? I dont know but in Total Commander build in zipper certainly can do it - and it is a common one. I open xpi file/view file list, click edit for install.rdf - edit away in external editor, ends with saving this temporary file - back to TC it offers to repack into xpi. Done.
-dk70 (March 03, 2007, 08:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Repacking it makes Firefox say the installation file is incorrct. The file size is quite different from before unzipping.

I am not going to install Total Commander in order to figure out this little problem. Think I'll give the Change a try instead. But thanks anyway!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version