ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to edit .xpi, and with what?

<< < (2/5) > >>

dk70:
Should you try again later it really should be straightforward http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Extension_Packaging

What tool you use to zip/unzip? May be not a good idea to use Wordpad, go Notepad or other clean editors.

There is another solution. Disable Firefox ability to check for compatibility. Insert user_pref("extensions.checkCompatibility", false); in user.js which is in main profile folder or go about:config and add it. I dont think it is present right now. If so just change/toggle value to false. To make a new - rightclick, New, Boolean, insert pref name extensions.checkCompatibility doubleclick to toggle value to false or rightclick and select toggle. Restart Firefox and the old stable View Currency will install.

Nighted:
Curt, you can also just use the MR Tech Local Install extension. It can change the compatibility of the extension for you.

Basically if you want to edit it yourself you change xpi to zip, make the changes with any text editor, zip again and change back to xpi. Always works for me. If it's not working, maybe something is compressing it with a non-standard zip routine.

Curt:
Should you try again ...-dk70 (March 03, 2007, 09:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I did try again, but failed. I installed ZipZag, and was able to open Install.rdf and write "2.0.*" in the end of the file, using CopyWriter, but somehow the change was not saved, or correctly done by me, because the fox gave the same speach as before: "This version is for 1.5 only..".

Is Total Commander using ZipZag as plug-in?

Curt:
Curt, you can also just use the MR Tech Local Install extension. -Nighted (March 03, 2007, 09:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

That MR Tech guy sure will take me some time to learn how to use! I am NOT tech'ed...

But now I have installed it, and then we will see some time in the future what became of all this.
Thanks for answering!

dk70:
You replaced already existing max version number with 2.0.0.* right? Dont change anything else or put it at end of file.

Give me url to that stable oldie and I can do the change in 15 seconds with lovely TC. I dont know ZipZag - TC uses a simple internal zipper, no fancy format.

So now I know ZipZag - I remember trying it out long time ago, may be a bit overkill and payware  :o I really think just about any zip tool including WinRAR can do this but depending on how you unpack and repack settings must fit, preserve directory hierarchy for example.

Firefox is best when you only use what you actually USE. Get rid of Tech guy unless a need has popped up during this ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version