ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

nostalgia hour: old software you loved

<< < (8/9) > >>

bassclarinetl2:
In the Game realm (software?)  All the Super Solvers games by TLC.  i.e. Gizmos and Gadgets...   Most still work.

dcm:
Does anyone remember DOS PIP?

You couldn't get along without it!

djkarmad:
What I miss:
I have to agree totally with mouser: XyWrite
And I will add Aldus Photoshop 1.0 because of the best feature ever written for a PC app... I call it the "grabbing hand" (a-la Depeche Mode)... Hold down the Alt key and your cursor because a hand which could move your document around. Why we're still stuck with stupid always-too-thin scrollbars, I'll never know.
Oh and dBase III Plus since I taught myself and wrote a complete networked app to deal with a radio station's snow closing system.

danw:
well - I started on a Panasonic dos machine - had 3 of them - that is after having Commodores 64 & 128 - the software was Verse Search very expensive bible program - I still use it - the original programmer tells me he is retiring & there will be no more development - Pity its search function was (is) like greased lighting
Accounting packages kept in Dos & I sort of missed win 3.1
I spent money on utilities
Ramsgate - the first memory manager
Xfile Pro
A great backup program - I’ll have to look through my old 51/4 floppies for it
I always like to register - I'm fascinated by the thought of people working away to write code over which I'm completely baffled - I often send words of thanks but this is only since we could go on line - I used to have to reduce the packets to a very small size to get them over dirty phone lines & would send a print file ready to print cheques to an office 150 Ks away - I was fascinated that I could do a search in American universities by using satellites in the late 80's
WordStar was my best word processor - actually I have the macros to make word act like WordStar
my early "posts" were fun I actually had a tip printed in the WordStar users mag. My trouble is that I forget so much - I can still program a 4th generation relational database but use one now that ports to windows & Mac that only my daughter can use -
PCTools
splitty
norton
creative sound drivers - used to drive me nuts
cleansweep
boxer text editor - still use
windelet
coloradobackup
removeit
quickline banking
winpay
xtreegold
pctools pro
superevoice 2.2
arcada backup
maxtor max blast
th list goes on :)

rjbull:
Hold down the Alt key and your cursor because a hand which could move your document around. Why we're still stuck with stupid always-too-thin scrollbars, I'll never know.
-djkarmad (March 12, 2007, 08:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Try the Logitech TrackBall instead of a standard mouse...  press the middle mouse key and the cursor changes to a different shape; flick the ball up or down and the whole page heads that way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version