ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

Mar. 2007 Giveaway/Discounts: Website Watcher,Local Website Archive,AM-Notebook

(1/3) > >>

mouser:
March 2007 Giveaway and Discounts

Supporting Members, you've got until March 15th to enter this month's Free Shareware Giveaway.  The Discounts run until March 31st.

This Month's Special Discounts and Giveaways:

* Website Watcher (50% discount)
* Local Website Archive (50% discount)
* AM-Notebook (50% discount)

Be sure to read our review of Website Watcher here -- it's one of my favorite programs in the entire world, and I can't imagine living without it.  If you spend any time at all surfing the web then you need this program, or one like it.  The author of the program has been very generous to DonationCoder and at a 50% discount it really is an incredible bargain.  I use it every day and it saves me huge amounts of time.

mouser:
ps.  The author of all of these programs also makes a very good and very popular freeware program for checking your bookmarks for dead and invalid bookmarks, called AM-Deadlink.  Definitely worth checking out  :up:

tinjaw:
By all means, please read the review.

However, I wanted to add a comment. I was not interested in Website Watcher, even after reading the review. I felt that between RSS feeds and most forums having some form of "Show Unread Posts" that WW would be wasted money. Boy was I wrong.

What got me to try the demo version was a web forum that did not have a "Show Unread Posts" function that worked in a manner I wanted it to. So I decided to try the demo version of WW to see if it could handle the forums in a manner I wanted. Not only did it do that, but it showed me just how wrong I was about WW as a whole. Not only does the basic edition do more than I expected, the scripting capabilities make the personal version a "must upgrade".

I suggest that, even if you don't think you "need" Website Watcher, do yourself a favor and try out the demo this month so you can take advantage of the discount before March ends.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that before the 30-day demo expired I purchased a license for the personal version.

aignes:
I suggest that, even if you don't think you "need" Website Watcher, do yourself a favor and try out the demo this month
--- End quote ---

Downloading now...  ;)

tinjaw, glad that you like WebSite-Watcher. Great post, thanks...

iphigenie:
I never quite got "into" WsW but LWA is one of my most used programs.

With WsW I can tell it could probably save me time one it's all set up like I would like it, but it costs time to figure out, and I simply never spent that time. I did try since i had LWA and i thought it'd be nice to have WsW to check and update pages snapped in LWA. But it turned out to be time consuming so I gave up. This was 2005 or even 2004 so it's probably smooth and wonderful now, and I'm more patient, so I will listen and try it again.

I have said before I trial lots of software and realise halfway through the trial that I don't use it... But with LWA things worked differently - i was surprised one day within 2-3 weeks of install to be told "you have have hit the 100 documents limit" (not a limitation of the free version anymore) - needless to say I registered it and have been moving it from PC to PC since. It's one of the first things I reinstall after the security and utilities, along with a browser (which has changed from mozilla to slimbrowser to kmeleon to opera over the years - all of which happily worked with lwa), email (poco, which happily worked with lwa, and now opera, which alas doesn't at the email level), and text editor.

LWA is worth a try because it gives you a place to save web documents but also other documents which is independent of the tools you use. I don't know about you guys but I have used 6 or more different browsers in the last 2 years (ie, ie based slim browser, kmeleon, netscape, mozilla, firefox,seamonkey,opera), and several email clients. All other tools I know of either work on cut-and-paste, or only work in one or two browsers. When you switch browsers, you either lose your archive or have to cut/paste it all over...

Things I have done with LWA:
* keep a snapshot copy of order confirmations on ecommerce websites
* keep a (temporary) snapshot copy of ebay item description pages for items bid on, in case the description is amended later, so I can complain if needed
* keep a snapshot copy of T&Cs from companies I do business with, so if they change I have the one I "signed" to on record. For example a deal offered by an energy supplier, or a subscription based website etc.
* keep a copy of maps and itineraries so I can take them with me offline if necessary (I had a 9" subnotebook)
* keep a snapshot of sofware description pages with a note with the executable name (so when a month later I'm "what was this download again?" I have a quick way to check) and opinion notes after i try it
* keep recipes
* save key emails outside the email program, just in case, or to store them together with a snapshot the website/pages they refer to.
* snapshot of website visuals and web projects at different stages. Again, mostly useful to remember or if the client tries to be silly.
* snapshot of product pages when doing research for projects - it's much better than just a bookmark. I have folders on ecological paints, multi room sound systems, hotels in X, or topics from work
* snapshot of technical tutorials and reference information - again those sites disappear from the web sometimes and bookmarks don't help much. There are some key perl sites which have disappeared and I wish I'd snapped more pages there.

It's not perfect, but it's much more useful than you'd imagine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version