ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Six Free Online Storage Services

<< < (4/6) > >>

kartal:
Is  mybloop.com a hoax? Unlimited file storage?

-Its desktop application also installed Dealio tool bar and some search setting tool without asking me. It was greyed out in the installation window.
-When I tried to upload a file that is 40 mb it kept crashing.

I am also using Adrive for storing files. For mp3s only, I am using mybloop.com.
-sri (June 07, 2008, 11:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

J-Mac:
-Its desktop application also installed Dealio tool bar and some search setting tool without asking me. It was greyed out in the installation window.
-kartal (June 07, 2008, 11:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ouch!  Anything that installs an unwanted toolbar is dealing in malware, IMO.  Unless of course the toolbar belongs specifically to that application and can be disabled.  (E.g., Linkman has an IE toolbar for bookmarking.)

Some free programs extract an unmentioned price like that!

Thanks fop the warning!

Jim

kartal:
It looks like www.adrive.com has officially started both free and commercial options. The free option gives you 50 gb for personal use.

Deozaan:
Is  mybloop.com a hoax? Unlimited file storage?

-When I tried to upload a file that is 40 mb it kept crashing.
-kartal (June 07, 2008, 11:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

This reminds me of an e-mail service that launched a couple years ago just after Gmail was hitting it big. It boasted 30GB of e-mail storage. A friend (who will not be named to protect the guilty) and I decided to benchmark it because we couldn't believe someone was actually offering 30GB, and repeatedly sent very large attachments to our trial accounts to try to fill up the space.

I think it broke my friend's account at around 500MB and he wasn't even able to log in to delete the extra files. Not only that, but he later discovered that the whole system was basically a Squirrel Mail with a new CSS file to make it look like the guy created the whole service himself.

A quick Google Search and Wikipedia let you know that the 30gigs.com service has been discontinued.

biox:
It looks like www.adrive.com has officially started both free and commercial options. The free option gives you 50 gb for personal use. -kartal (July 13, 2008, 10:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Trying it out as we speak. Signed up for the, apparently, free 50GB version. Seems a lot for free but I've run out of options.

I guess here is as good a place as any to ask a dumb question. I'd like to upgrade my lapdog (Presario V3000) with a 160-200GB HDD, if that's possible. Problem is that I don't trust the local vendors (I'm not alone with this) and it doesn't look like I'm going anywhere in the near future. I've looked on the I-net but I think I don't really know what to look for with my very limited laptop experience. Lets say I've found a lot but still don't know what works. Can any of you experts please point me into the right direction?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version