topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Six Free Online Storage Services  (Read 34302 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Six Free Online Storage Services
« on: February 28, 2007, 10:50 AM »
Nice review: http://www.extremete...,1697,2099014,00.asp

I wonder if anyone here already uses such a service.

[edited to attach screenshot]
Screenshot - 3_1_2007 , 7_29_11 AM_thumb.png
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 07:29 AM by mouser »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Six Free Online Storage Services
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 12:37 PM »
I've had an eSnips account for several months now.  Handy.  I use it to back up some videos of the kids, and some of my prized freeware applications.

Clive

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 05:53 AM »
I use MediaMax (was StreamLoad when I subscribed) as a backup service (3rd layer) mostly for images. Various issues mentioned in the review don't really affect me as I hope to never need to download files.They were very helpful & responsive to my enquiries when I had some set up problems at the start which impressed me.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 07:43 AM »
Not free but almost: I use JungleDisk which is software tied to Amazon's S3 service. It is only 15 cents per GB-Month of storage used. If you don't have big needs then Mozy is the best way to go IMO.

IQLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • created in PS 4
    • View Profile
    • Lbry
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 05:53 PM »
I have to modify my former post (about <a href="http://www.sendspace.com/invite/0t3jyz">SendSpace</a>)!

As for now, I MUST say that <a href="http://www.divshare.com/profile/arturo">Divshare</a> is the best by far, they are adding new features on nearly a daily basis!
The most important feature: your files stay online FOREVER!!! There's NO need to regularly download them every x- days!  :D
You can even create <a href="http://ebookreseller.divshare.com/">Groups</a>, embed all you files in other websites and stuff like that!
It is still (and will remain forever) free, but now there's an option to upgrade to a paid membership, too.

I left <a href="http://www.sendspace.com/invite/0t3jyz">SendSpace</a> behind & changed 100% to <a href="http://ebookreseller.divshare.com/">Divshare</a>!
Check it out folks, it's worth!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 08:33 AM by IQLover »

deano

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 07:38 PM »
divshare.com is super.

There appears to be no limits on file sizes or how much data you can store.  What is very cool is that you can mark files as either private or public.  Once uploaded a variety of links are provided depending on the filetype e.g images can be linked to different sized thumbnails.  You can also create photo galleries.

I just use it to store big executables, distributions and general images for reference from other web apps.

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 12:45 PM »
OrbitFiles http://www.orbitfiles.com is a nice easy way to store 1G for Free.  Larger plans are pretty inexpesive too.

I use it for providing Password Protected documentation for clients.  Just send a link and the password and users can download from the web w/ no special software required.

Xdrive sux eggs these days.
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 09:43 PM »
http://www.adrive.com  offers 50gb free

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 11:13 PM »
http://www.adrive.com  offers 50gb free

Adrive seems neat, except that it's in beta and will likely require subscription fees once it is out of beta. I'd certainly hate to have the old Bait and Switch pulled on me by uploading several gigabytes of personal data to be backed up only to be required to pay to get access to any of it once the beta ends.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 11:50 PM »
I just saw hp`s service unlimited for 49$ year. But it looks like they do nto offer ftp or webdav :(

https://www.upline.com/

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 11:52 PM »
Adrive`s website states that there will be premium service that would offer more than 50gb. In that respect 50gb service will stay free?

from theirf faq

Will my ADrive account ever expire?
ADrive does not delete nor expire any confirmed accounts. Also, your current ADrive account will not be affected after we leave our Beta version. With the launch of version 1.0, you can upgrade to one of our new storage plans once you are signed in to your account.

http://www.adrive.com/products

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 10:44 PM »
I don't know, kartal; that's looking at two separate items on the site.  I would imagine that we won't know for sure what the limits will be on the free accounts after the beta is over.
Right now, though, it looks pretty good.

I'm looking for something for online storage.  I have been using Mozy for online backups for a little over a year now, but ever since they released version 1.8.8.x it is extremely difficult to maintain a connection with Mozy.  Thought it was my own setup, and Mozy support naturally points to that also.  But recently I am seeing a lot of users - mostly bloggers - complaining about the same problems.

I just requested a refund of my year's renewal I paid last month and they are trying to talk me out of it.  But unless they can fix the client application or their server issues, whichever is screwing up, it is difficult for them to talk one out of leaving!

Jim

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 11:11 PM »
I am also using Adrive for storing files. For mp3s only, I am using mybloop.com.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 11:13 PM »
I personally do not want to spend over 30$ a year for online storage. All the options are expensive for me. I am thinking another solution which involves my brother who lives in another country. I will setup a private p2p server (sourceforge has some free private network applications) between my computer and my brother`s. I may even buy Powerfolder to do this which is a cheaper solution. Most of the commercial solutions out there is good for 5 10 gb backup but I need to backup very very huge files and projects that becomes very prices for me(over 80gb of project data, 40 gb of personal files, photos, and alot of mp3s). And to be honest I do not trust those applications provided by these commercial online storage companies. I have seen very quirky implementations like Xdrive. Fabolous free service but I would never trust its desktop application.

I used Adrive to store some files and share with friends it work fine. But biggest minus is the fact that it is only web application, no webdaw or ftp support.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 11:15 PM »
To my best knowledge the best way is to create a serverless multiple nodes system where everyone stores eachother`s data for eachother. But files should be encrypted in this case even thou storage is shared between trustees. So yes I would definetely support community based backup system where everyone is eachother`s insurance.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 11:19 PM by kartal »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 11:37 PM »
Is  mybloop.com a hoax? Unlimited file storage?

-Its desktop application also installed Dealio tool bar and some search setting tool without asking me. It was greyed out in the installation window.
-When I tried to upload a file that is 40 mb it kept crashing.

I am also using Adrive for storing files. For mp3s only, I am using mybloop.com.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 01:46 AM by kartal »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 01:44 AM »
-Its desktop application also installed Dealio tool bar and some search setting tool without asking me. It was greyed out in the installation window.

Ouch!  Anything that installs an unwanted toolbar is dealing in malware, IMO.  Unless of course the toolbar belongs specifically to that application and can be disabled.  (E.g., Linkman has an IE toolbar for bookmarking.)

Some free programs extract an unmentioned price like that!

Thanks fop the warning!

Jim

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 10:07 PM »
It looks like www.adrive.com has officially started both free and commercial options. The free option gives you 50 gb for personal use.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:10 PM by kartal »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 12:28 AM »
Is  mybloop.com a hoax? Unlimited file storage?

-When I tried to upload a file that is 40 mb it kept crashing.

This reminds me of an e-mail service that launched a couple years ago just after Gmail was hitting it big. It boasted 30GB of e-mail storage. A friend (who will not be named to protect the guilty) and I decided to benchmark it because we couldn't believe someone was actually offering 30GB, and repeatedly sent very large attachments to our trial accounts to try to fill up the space.

I think it broke my friend's account at around 500MB and he wasn't even able to log in to delete the extra files. Not only that, but he later discovered that the whole system was basically a Squirrel Mail with a new CSS file to make it look like the guy created the whole service himself.

A quick Google Search and Wikipedia let you know that the 30gigs.com service has been discontinued.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:53 AM by Deozaan »

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 12:51 AM »
It looks like www.adrive.com has officially started both free and commercial options. The free option gives you 50 gb for personal use.
Trying it out as we speak. Signed up for the, apparently, free 50GB version. Seems a lot for free but I've run out of options.

I guess here is as good a place as any to ask a dumb question. I'd like to upgrade my lapdog (Presario V3000) with a 160-200GB HDD, if that's possible. Problem is that I don't trust the local vendors (I'm not alone with this) and it doesn't look like I'm going anywhere in the near future. I've looked on the I-net but I think I don't really know what to look for with my very limited laptop experience. Lets say I've found a lot but still don't know what works. Can any of you experts please point me into the right direction?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 07:13 AM »
Trying it out as we speak. Signed up for the, apparently, free 50GB version. Seems a lot for free but I've run out of options.

have you started using it yet biox ?
was wondering how it works... thinking that it would nicely hold my photos with a bit of room to spare ;)

sorry, cant help you on laptop
Tom

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 10:03 AM »
have you started using it yet biox ?
was wondering how it works... thinking that it would nicely hold my photos with a bit of room to spare ;)
sorry, cant help you on laptop
Tomorrow morning. Doesn't make sense to try anything 'upload' in the evening here (22.00). Hopelessly oversubscribed ISPs.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 10:52 AM »
I have put some 30gb on adrive without any real problem. They offer free desktop client and webdav for pro version

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 12:45 PM »
I don't quite get the idea with adrive pro. For $7/mo, I get 50GB with webdav access...

For $5/mo, I can get web hosting with unlimited storage (was 1000GB, now unlimited) with FTP (multiple logins to share with friends), mySQL, mail, etc

Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 12:56 PM »
Web hosting firms do not monitor files generally but I am sure if you start putting files that are big and non-web extension you will be harrassed about it. Their crawlers may also delete non web extention files without telling you. COuple times zip files had perished from my web site in the past.  I had the same talk with my web hosting company. They told me that using web service as web storage would be a reason to terminate the contract.

I don't quite get the idea with adrive pro. For $7/mo, I get 50GB with webdav access...

For $5/mo, I can get web hosting with unlimited storage (was 1000GB, now unlimited) with FTP (multiple logins to share with friends), mySQL, mail, etc

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:59 PM by kartal »