ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

limiting memory

(1/2) > >>

nite_monkey:
I was wondering if some one knew of a program that would limit the amount of memory and virtual memory a program is allowed to use? I have a program that I run, and it can get up to like almost a gig of virtual memory, and like 7 or 8 hundred mb of regular memory, and I wanted to limit this, that way maybe I can use my computer more better. Please and thank you.

jgpaiva:
Well.. Even if such program existed, what would happen would be that you wouldn't be able to use the program you mentioned, since it'd run out of memory and give a "out of memory" error, i suppose.
So, no real use for such thing.
Or am i wrong?  :-[

Curt:
... it can get up to like almost a gig of virtual memory, and like 7 or 8 hundred mb of regular memory, and I wanted to limit this, ...-nite_monkey (February 27, 2007, 10:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

700 - 1000 MB??!! I too would like to 'limit' such a powersucker; I would never run it! (I don't even have that much RAM.)

If you really wanna keep such a millstone around your neck, my penny would be that you change the Priority in Windows Taskmanager to Below Normal. It won't bring you more RAM, but should give the other apps a chance to do their work anyway, I guess.

cthorpe:
Well.. Even if such program existed, what would happen would be that you wouldn't be able to use the program you mentioned, since it'd run out of memory and give a "out of memory" error, i suppose.
-jgpaiva (February 28, 2007, 07:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought some programs were written to exploit all available memory, so you could limit them without making the program not run.  I seem to recall reading that some Adobe programs do it, though I might be mistaken.

nite_monkey:
... it can get up to like almost a gig of virtual memory, and like 7 or 8 hundred mb of regular memory, and I wanted to limit this, ...-nite_monkey (February 27, 2007, 10:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

700 - 1000 MB??!! I too would like to 'limit' such a powersucker; I would never run it! (I don't even have that much RAM.)

If you really wanna keep such a millstone around your neck, my penny would be that you change the Priority in Windows Taskmanager to Below Normal. It won't bring you more RAM, but should give the other apps a chance to do their work anyway, I guess.
-Curt (February 28, 2007, 08:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
I have a gig of ram, and I have a 3g pagefile on my second hard drive. I think I had at one time changed the priority, but I don't think that helped much when it was using almost all my ram, and 300mb of my VM, by then my computer was so slow I was about to pick it up and throw it at the wall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version