ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Website Change Monitoring Tool

compared with Check and Get

(1/7) > >>

JeffK:
I use Check and Get, which I have found to be very good.  Check and Get has a flashier interface than Website Washer but I would have to say C&G is more cluttered.

Jeff

mouser:
great to thave some discussion here about the alternatives!

i'm afraid people will get the impression when reading the reviews that i'm doing an advert for a particular program.  it's true that in the reviews i'm doing now i'm picking programs i really feel strongly about, which accounts for some of the hyberbole, but i really do want people to know about the alternatives and go check them out and see for themselves what they like best.

Check&Get def. seems like the closest competitor to WSW (http://activeurls.com/en/)
I also found the UI a bit cluttered and distracting.  you can see some of the guidelines that i look for when considering user interfaces: https://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews/uithoughts.html.

as ric was pointing out before, it would be useful for people if we would discuss (before the award when possible) specific features that are important and how the dif. programs stack up.

one thing that c&g seems to have that WSW doesn't is the ability to store some extra snapshots of past states of the webpage, for comparison later; could be useful in some special cases.

i don't think c&g can compare to wsw in terms of being able to specify match&ignore patterns which is critical to making such a tool work..

btw,
if/when we have a situation where a considerable # of people disagree with a review and like another program better, i would be willing to approach the author of the other program and convey this and ask them if they want to provide a discount to members, as a kind of counter-offer to you guys.

or actually, anyone who reads these forums is very welcome to contact other authors of competing products and tell them that they are very welcome to come here and post about their program and why they think we might have underestimated it's value, and tell them that they are very welcome to offer a discount to our members.  might be a really fun idea to have the competitor programs post in here - the more variety of opinions the better here in the forums.  maybe i will formulate an official email to send to companies of programs i've evaluated for a review expressing this.

mouser:
i updated the section of the review on alternatives to more prominently mention check&get.

JeffK:
I use Check and Get, which I have found to be very good.  Check and Get has a flashier interface than Website Washer but I would have to say C&G is more cluttered.

Jeff
-JeffK (April 02, 2005, 03:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

C&G tends to have too many lines and colours in each of its GUI compared with WW which has nice clean lines and open spacious look.  As mouser points out that "match and ignore patterns" enables the user to identify only the significant website changes they are interested in.

Jeff

mouser:
btw i asked Martin if he would mind extending the discount to his Local Website Archive program (http://www.aignes.com/wsarc/index.htm), which is the program that can keep multiple snapshots of web pages and can be used with WSW, and he extended the discount to this product as well; use the same code.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version