ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

recommend backup soft?

<< < (3/5) > >>

urlwolf:
I recommend you check out the DonationCoder.com Power-User Guide to Back Ups.
-tinjaw (February 26, 2007, 04:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know the review. This is why I bought genie in the first place. But thanks anyway. I think backup4all may do the trick for now...

iphigenie:
Backup4all is a very slick program.

I use No Hands Backup and Acronis driveimage - the first for file level backup, archiving and synchronisation, the other one for system wide backup and incremental backups.

Acronis is pretty good for incrememental backup and fairly good on restore(s). I can't remember if it did all the incrementals automatically or not last time i restored...

Since I have not seen NHB mentioned anywhere I'll give a quick description, even though it's not a solution for the scenario that started this thread...
No Hands Backup (http://www.anderssoftware.com/) has a bit of a quirky interface but it does all the standard file-level backup ups (zipped or not, multiple versions or not, filters, schedule). For me it has one killer feature, you can associate a backup with a particular removable media (by serial number or label). That way I could tell my mum "just put the red usb key in the drive once a week" and NHB automagically detects that this particular USB key is in and asks "want to start the backup?" and then just does it (i usually get her to do it when i chat with her on the phone). I use it to run different backups on different DVDram disks, and on my external drive etc. It's a very nice feature.

Swenerick:
You can use the demo version of Zenok online backup. I did it about 6 months ago. It worked great, was fairly easy to use and fast.

J-Mac:
You can use the demo version of Zenok online backup. I did it about 6 months ago. It worked great, was fairly easy to use and fast.
-Swenerick (July 09, 2011, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Swenerick,

Since these questions were being asked more than four years ago....  I hope they found their backup apps back then!!

BTW, welcome to DC!

Jim

iphigenie:
Brings up an interesting question though: are people still using what they were using then, Genie, B4all and such, or are there slicker options now? Has everyone moved to online ones?

That's so weird though, here's me talking about nohandsbackup and how i set it up for my mum - nohandsbackup still works, although it is an abandoned product (it seems). I liked the automation. My mum on the other hand is gone and i had no backup there...

And I currently dont really use a backup tool besides file copying manually, and really I should.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version