topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Documeron on Freeware Genius: A great free program and website!  (Read 9601 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here's a website that reviews very nice software. The program that's listed, Documeron, is a free, sophisticated "My Recent Documents" type program. I would recommend looking at this program and taking a look at the other software on the site.

Documeron is a small memory-resident program that keeps track of all the files and documents you access at any time in order to enable you to find and/or locate these later on. It provides a number of functions such as filtering by date and type and tracking of deleted or moved documents....

from www.freewaregenius.com
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 11:36 AM by KenR »

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
Re: Documeron on Freeware Genius: A great free program and website!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 11:53 PM »
Now if it could just restore the windows you had open after an explorer.exe crash....

Nice, I'll be checking this out.  :Thmbsup:
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 12:35 AM »
I don't mean to be a wet blanket about Documeron, the following is just a general thought about downloading programs.

I have from time to time wondered how safe it is to download and install software from all over the place. The fact that it is mentioned by one of the regular donationcoders does give me some added confidence.

One of the addtional steps I take instead of downloading directly from the program sites is to look for the file in one of the more well known download sites like www.snapfiles.com, www.nonags.com www.download.com

In keeping with this "paranoid" mentality, I searched for the file at www.snapfiles.com and www.nonags.com and www.download.com, but it was not listed there.

Now of course there are many other sites like www........ that you could look from.

Just wondering, am I'm being paranoid or was it Andy Grove of Intel who said "Only the paranoid survive" or this is where Virtual PC becomes really useful.

And even with this extra cautioun, I find that periodically, I have to reinstall my Laptop to get a clean smooth running system - No thanks to Bill for having the OS full of holes.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 02:47 AM by patteo »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 02:28 AM »
i tried it, Documeron, i didn't notice anything naughty happen with my system - but then i suppose i wouldn't.

anyway, it's a nice idea, but the way it's implemented is slightly annoying. having to scroll sideways through a collection of tabs to find the file category you want isn't a great idea.

there was something else that annoyed but i can't remember what it was now.

there's another program that does the same job, i remember Zaine recommending it but i can't remember what that is either.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 02:46 AM »
Here is another one, a shareware version

X2Net Recent Documents
"Effective, easy-to-use and affordable Document Management -- Now!

X2Net Recent Documents provides powerful features that allow you to manage, build and catalog all the documents you work with, into a virtual catalog. It automatically keeps track of the names and locations of documents and files as you work with them; without any additional effort on your part. Whenever you need to locate a document or file you can use Windows Explorer to find it quickly and simply."
http://www.x2net.com...tdocuments/index.htm

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 02:58 AM »
If we're listing shareware there's recenX, from the same people who did piky basket and quick notes plus / notezilla

http://www.conceptworld.com/RecentX/

It has a nice combination of features. I didnt like that it does its own little dock, though. I would have preferred something in the tray.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 03:35 AM »
File-Ex also remembers a limited subset of Recent Documents, Folders

Cottonwood Software: File-Ex and Windows Utilities for Power-Users
"File-Ex saves valuable time and mouse clicks...
    * Automatically enhances almost all Windows applications, saving you valuable time.
    * Larger file window reduces scrolling clicks by up to 90%.
    * Re-opens the last folder used so you don't have to hunt for it each time you open a file.
    * Default to the sorting you like, and have it remember the column widths in details view.
    * Remembers 100 recent and favorite folders / files, reducing clicks to the file you need.
    * Create and open a new folders with fewer steps -- opens to the new folder automatically.
    * Built-in Find tool searches all of your hard drives for files.
http://www.file-ex.com/welcome.html

File-Ex was reviewed here :
Best Dialog Extender - DonationCoder.com
https://www.donation...Extenders/index.html

paulobrabo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • The Brazilian Bomber
    • View Profile
    • Brabo Illustration
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 05:07 AM »
There's ActualDoc as well, with both a free and Pro version:

http://www.flexigensoft.com/actualdoc
English will never be my first language, it doesn't meter how hard I try.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 05:10 AM by paulobrabo »